What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G VS. Tehtered

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone done any bandwidth performance testing between iPad 3G VS iPad WiFi + Tether?

Interested in the results

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
I have speedtested on wifi at my home with cable wifi and had as high and 9.5 mb per second. Wifi over my clear hotspot is about 1.5 MB per second.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure what good tests are going to do. Whether or not you're tethering to a phone pulling a cellular signal or pulling one directly from you iPad using 3G - it's going to depend upon 2 variable factors - quality of the tethering equipment and quality of the connection (including the ATT network connection. I mean - if you had 100 people out there testing, each with different hardware and cell service mixes - you're result would be all over the place.

Elementz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tether

I have nexus one tethered to iPad on AT&T 3G, my speedtest results were 1.2 mbs, on 4 bars. I have used 3G iPad as well it's about the same speed, although some of the streaming apps like abc player won't play full quality HD videos but decent not too bad.

Ps. My 1st post :)

0002S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MyWi linked to my iPad runs about the same speeds as the iPhone 3G does.

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MyWi linked to my iPad runs about the same speeds as the iPhone 3G does.

That is somewhat not surprising since you are going from 3G iPhone network. But it seems faster at pyschologically.

Star56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is the same speed on my tethered wifi vs straight 3G on my iphone. Should be ...it is the same data.

No reason to bother with the 3G version unless you 1. Don't have an iphone 2. Don't want to jailbreak it 3. Need the gps function.

Most reactions

Latest posts