What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3g plan

Vic8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Planning on buying the iPad 2 for my wife. My question is this: can the 3G iPad's data plan be turned on and off without the iPad in hand? In other words, if I own the 3G iPad but do not have a data plan on and I happen to loose it or have it stolen can I then turn the data plan on remotely so that I may locate it using find my iPhone?

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think you can remotely turn off 3G but the "find iPhone" app allows you to remotely wipe or lock your iPhone or iPad.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad needs Internet connectivity to be able to use Apple's 'Find my iPad' service, so that your iPad can 'report' its position. But that needn't be 3G connectivity, WiFi will work just fine. If your iPad was stolen, then it seems likely that the person who took it would use WiFi (or 3G) - the iPad is, fundamentally, an Internet device so it's not much use to anyone for very long without Internet connectivity.

Tim
Scotland

OP
V

Vic8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How easy is it to turn the data package on these devices on the verizon network? Can it be turned on for travel and then turned off after the travel? Is the rate pro rated? I know, I know, I can ask verizon. I just feel that there are little points that can be made by real time customers.

Most reactions

Latest posts