What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G battery life?

Ludzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So had my 3G iPad now for about a week and the battery life compared to my old wifi version is terrible. I used to be able to get the 10 hours advertised with my wifi only model but with the 3G I reckon I only get about 4/5 hours tops. Just general browsing, emails, and games with a few you tube vids. Only browsing using my wifi network at the moment so not even tried using a 3G network. Brightness is set half way. Push notifications are on but only for bay app. Email set to retrieve every 30 mins apart from MobileMe which is also push. Location services are on and Bluetooth is off. Cellular data is on as is wifi but not actually using my 3G signal. At first I thought it could be because I used the restore from my old wifi version so did a fresh install and still no change. Just played predator the game for about 15 mins and lost nearly 10% battery. I believe I've been charging battery as it should. Ran it dead when I first had it then fully charged over night. I try not to stick it on my dock when it's not in use. So only charge when needed. Do you think the batteries faulty or is it just me.

Cheers

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you turn the 3G radio off when your not using it?

The battery in my 3G iPad seems to last a long time. I'm pretty sure I get more them 4-5 hours, although I never really think about it.

OP
L

Ludzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you turn the 3G radio off when your not using it?

The battery in my 3G iPad seems to last a long time. I'm pretty sure I get more them 4-5 hours, although I never really think about it.

No I don't switch the 3G radio off when it's not in use. That's the only difference in my setting between this one and my old wifi one.

May have to make an appointment with a genius I think.

Cheers

Elminster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are various utilities that will give you remaining time. I use amonitor. It currently says I have 6 hrs left if I use 3G and I am currently on 63% battery remaining.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never discharged the iPad's battery completely so I don't know its autonomy but I did notice that on 3G it consumed more. I blame it on the radio. Speaking of which, when I use 3G I turn off the wifi radio...

OP
L

Ludzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well i downloaded a monitor app and after a full night of charging it says I have 10 hours of wifi and 9:30 of 3G use. So I'll see how it goes today. If not I'll take it back and swap it for another one.

Cheers

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tend to leave my 3G on and get a good 10 hours+ out of it. I do live in a fairly strong 3G signal area though, which I think makes a difference.

OP
L

Ludzy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I've been out all day so haven't had a chance to use the iPad much. But when I left it was on about 95% got back about 4 hours later and it was still on 95%. So I can only assume that's good? I do have a very good 3G signal where I live so would like to leave the 3G radio on but at the minute it's off as is push email. I'll just have to see how it goes.

Cheers

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forgot about push.. I did that on my iPhone and well, my battery dead in about 10 hours. Before I get off work it's dead with very light use (email, facebook, 30 texts).

With push off, I use about 1/4 of my battery. I have push on the iPad and still receive great run time.. So I dunno

Most reactions

Latest posts