What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G/4G question

shands

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to all this iPad stuff so I'm going to ask 2 really thick questions if I may?

Looking at buying an iPad for Christmas and can't decide whether to go for wi-fi only or the Cellular model. OK, so I've worked out that the Cellular model will give me access to the web, etc., on the move where there is no access to wi-fi but is there a monthly charge to the network provider? You know, like a mobile phone?
Or is the fact that you are splashing out initially covering ongoing costs?

Second and last question.....
I'm going to the USA next year for holiday. Will the Cellular aspect work over there and will there be charges? (like data roaming etc)?

Thanks a bunch :eek:

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I purchased my iPad3 Verizon 4g directly through Apple. When it arrived and I was going to be traveling I set up a pay-as-you-go type of plan directly on my iPad in the settings area. You have options for the amount of data you need/want to pay for.

The iPad3 can also pull off of a hotspot, which is how my son uses his. He turns his hotspot on on his iPhone and uses that to pull his Internet from.

I actually just switched my plan with Verizon to the family share plan and added my iPad on to it and dropped my pay as you go deal, just works better for my needs this way.

kellyrapidsoft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah sure, go for the cellular one. but if you are using cellular services then it will cost you the cellular charges. If you are planning to visit USA then it will depend on the cellular network you are using. If it provides services then obviously it will charge roaming charges otherwise you will have to take a new sim in usa and start using its services. enjoy!!

Most reactions

Latest posts