What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16 GB vs 32 GB

Solaris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
16gb or 32gb... this is the issue that's been vexing me more than any other.

If I'm not much of a music downloader and I only want to upload (or hire) the odd film for a weekend away then I'd imagine that the 16gb should be enough?

Bass656

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have always been a believer in buying as much storage/processor speed as is available, as this will tend to extend the realistic useful life of your hardware. With the iPad, our only option is the storage component. I bought the 64gb wifi version and received it on launch day and two days later I ordered the 64 gb 3G version. I find my self rarely using the 3G functionality, but it provides flexibility.

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I would go with the 32gb. Especially if you're someone who upgrades yearly or bi-annually, 16gb is going to be a tough sell when the apps start getting bigger and bigger. It really does depend on the user though, and I think Dave above hit the nail on the head. How you plan to use it should determine how much space you think you'll need.

OP
mwhartman

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thank everyone that posted a reply. Your insights were very helpful. As I mentioned I have a MacBookPro that is almost a year old (4 GB ram & 250 GB HD). It is a fantastic device and I use it the entire day.

Now that I know I can transfer/swap eBooks and movies, I believe I will go with the 32 GB.

I'll let you know how things go.

Mike

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not even sure I need to keep my entire music library with me at all times. I have songs that get repeated listening and ones which I haven't listened to in years. Same with pictures, asides from a few special pics do you really need 1,000 pictures on your Ipad, which will get looked at, what, once every several months( if that)?

It's nice to have your entire library with you at all times, but realistically, if you're smart about your storage space usage you 'could' conceivably get away with 16gb, unless this is a device that will be more on the road usage then in-home. It truly is about the individual user.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 64GB and try as I might I can't fill the damn thing! But I am prepared for what the future brings ;)

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a feeling by the time you get anywhere near filling up that 64gb, you'll be ready for the next Ipad ;)

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not even sure I need to keep my entire music library with me at all times. I have songs that get repeated listening and ones which I haven't listened to in years. Same with pictures, asides from a few special pics do you really need 1,000 pictures on your Ipad, which will get looked at, what, once every several months( if that)?

It's nice to have your entire library with you at all times, but realistically, if you're smart about your storage space usage you 'could' conceivably get away with 16gb, unless this is a device that will be more on the road usage then in-home. It truly is about the individual user.
Oh do I hear you.

I have decided I am not going to let my iPad be yet another device I have to feed and nurture and keep filled. I have all my photos on my PC. Most of them also on my laptop. A select few hundred--maybe a thousand didn't count them--on my iPhone and now on my iPad. How many times have I really looked at those photos? Not many.

Almost the same thing with music, though I use my iPhone 4 for music far more than my iPad.

But now that I have started using ZumoCast on my iPhone and iPad it has really changed my view on "having to carry it all with me." Now everything on my main PC is available to me on iPhone/iPad--not just what is in iTunes. It works very good over 3G.... works great over WiFi. If I happen to need a file from my PC it can be download for offline access.

So with ZumoCast I don't see a need to store much on my iPad. But I am in the "mainly use iPad at home" camp and I don't consider it a laptop replacement (though I have made several trips without laptop--I simple remote in to my PC if I need to do something not possible on iPad).

For me 64 GB iPad would be a waste of money.

Michael

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Oh do I hear you.

I have decided I am not going to let my iPad be yet another device I have to feed and nurture and keep filled. I have all my photos on my PC. Most of them also on my laptop. A select few hundred--maybe a thousand didn't count them--on my iPhone and now on my iPad. How many times have I really looked at those photos? Not many.

Almost the same thing with music, though I use my iPhone 4 for music far more than my iPad.

But now that I have started using ZumoCast on my iPhone and iPad it has really changed my view on "having to carry it all with me." Now everything on my main PC is available to me on iPhone/iPad--not just what is in iTunes. It works very good over 3G.... works great over WiFi. If I happen to need a file from my PC it can be download for offline access.

So with ZumoCast I don't see a need to store much on my iPad. But I am in the "mainly use iPad at home" camp and I don't consider it a laptop replacement (though I have made several trips without laptop--I simple remote in to my PC if I need to do something not possible on iPad).

Michael

Agreed.

Personally, I'm more than willing to sacrifice the 'convenience' of having my entire library at my immediate disposal( which I'll never come close to being in a position to utilize at any time). I think the 32gb is a nice happy medium. 64gb? Not for me, I'll take that $100 and go crazy on apps instead :D.

OP
mwhartman

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Oh do I hear you.

Michael

Thanks for the tip (ZumoCast). In my work life, my staff was responsible for protecting personal data for over 16,000 FT employees so I've very weary of storing anything in or on a "cloud." Now that I'm retired and only responsible for my own information I may add a few photos :)

Mike

Zumo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ZumoCast

Hey guys!

Thanks for the interest in ZumoCast. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or comments. You can email us here: support @zumocast.com

Also, you can follow us on Twitter (@zumocast) or Facebook (search ZumoDrive) for the latest news and updates.

Thanks again!

The ZumoCast Team

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Thanks for the interest in ZumoCast. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or comments. You can email us here: support @zumocast.com

Also, you can follow us on Twitter (@zumocast) or Facebook (search ZumoDrive) for the latest news and updates.

Thanks again!

The ZumoCast Team

No.... thank YOU for such an amazing app. Truly love it. Following on twitter and liking on facebook now....

Michael

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with Tinman. Zumocast is probably the best app I have found for the iPad and it has totally justified me only getting the 16GB iPad. I find it hard to believe the App and the PC component are free.

CHT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting to see everyone's reasoning for why they did or didn't get the larger capacity iPad. For me personally, I was going back and forth (pretty much since it's release date) whether or not I wanted\needed an iPad. Obviously I went ahead and eventually got one, but I went with the lowest model to save some cash and have the least amount of regret if I didn't dig the device (which I'm loving). A buddy of mine got the 64GB WiFi and admits he really only uses all the space for bragging rights and showing off. He has tons of movies on it to show people, etc. For me, the 16GB is working out fine so far. Like others have mentioned, I stream mostly all music and even my photos. I found a Shutterfly app (I've been using Shutterfly for a few years now) and I can easily view all my photos on the iPad, as if they were actually on it locally, great app! I have a few CD's ripped on the iPad and some photo albums. But other then that, I'm not using much space as of yet.

Zumo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No.... thank YOU for such an amazing app. Truly love it. Following on twitter and liking on facebook now....

Michael

I agree with Tinman. Zumocast is probably the best app I have found for the iPad and it has totally justified me only getting the 16GB iPad. I find it hard to believe the App and the PC component are free.

Thanks for the support! We should have an update coming out soon that will have new features such as multiple audio track support. In the meantime, keep streaming and stay tuned!

Most reactions

Latest posts