What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

114,000 iPad Owners' Email Addresses Revealed Via AT&T Security Hole

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Gawker posted a very troubling story yesterday afternoon detailing a serious security breach that revealed the email addresses of at least 114,000 early-adopter iPad 3G subscribers in the US, including the some incredibly eminent and high-profile people in politics and the military.

The breach was the work of a group called Goatse Security who accessed a script on AT&T’s website. Goatse then informed AT&T of the breach, and AT&T swiftly took the necessary steps to close the security hole, albeit without informing customers of the breach, which was then subsequently exposed by Gawker.

After Gawker’s initial exclusive report, AT&T sent Gawker a statement admitting the breach, saying that the “issue†was corrected by Tuesday, and that it has “essentially turned off the feature that provided the e-mail addresses.†AT&T also apologised to customers and pledged to inform all those whose email addresses and ICC IDS have been compromised.

Apple has yet to comment on the matter, while AT&T says it is continuing to investigate.

Source: Gawker

Last edited:

60DegreeVVT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i saw this on the news today.

If we have not connected our ipads to the 3G network yet are we at risk?

sorry if this sounds dumb...

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
REPOST.gif

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/4891-ipad-3g-security-breach.html

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If we have not connected our ipads to the 3G network yet are we at risk?

sorry if this sounds dumb...

Not a dumb question at all. I don't know the answer for sure. But for what it's worth I personally think you are not at risk if you have not yet activated your 3G service with AT&T yet.

When I activated my 3G service I had to create an account and provide my email address, mailing address, and credit card info. If you haven't done this yet then I don't see how AT&T could have any of your info on their system.

I'm not too worried anyway. If the only piece of my information the hackers were able to get is just my email address I don't see a huge risk. What are they going to do? Send me SPAM? We already get tons of that. :)

Hackers may try to use people's email addresses to get more information, something that would actually be useful to them like personal or financial info. Usually hackers who are really out to get something are trying to use/sell people's info so they can steal their identity.

But having someone's email address by itself is pretty harmless IMO.

Most reactions