What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 iPads for school setting

Blondbubble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone set up multiple iPads for use in a classroom? Our high school just purchased a set of 10 iPads for a Biology classroom. What is the best way to set them up so updates and purchased apps can be accomplished painlessly? Thanks!

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just register them all with the same iTunes account. You can only have FIVE computers authorized per ONE account, though.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can just backup one on the first setup, then when you plug in the next don't say its a new device do a restore of the backup you just made...repeat for all 10, they will all be set up identically...when you plug them in they will sync up one at a time when there are updates.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Just register them all with the same iTunes account. You can only have FIVE computers authorized per ONE account, though.

iPads dont count twords the 5 computer limit. they are part of the unlimited amount of deviced iTunes can sync with.

Being that his is for a school you may want to look at apples iphone configuration utility. this will let you create a configuration file to load on each iPad to set specific settings or restrictions.

you can bet that the kids will sign out of the default iTunes account and download games with their own iTunes account unless you lock it down.

Last edited:

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't say they were...I was just stating that before they tried to sync each computer with a different iPad. That's why I used the word computers and not devices, so there wouldn't be confusion.

kdevo09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Biology IPAdS

Blondie...I am a high school biology teacher as well. My school is looking at getting a set of 30 IPads for my bio classes, however I need to come up with lessons to submit for the grant. I have some ideas, but would love to hear what you have lined up.

mzmacky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Multiple ipads set-up

I'm a physical science teacher/chemistry teacher with 20 ipads in my classroom. I synced them all to one account on one computer. Each ipad is named separately (each with a famous scientist name) and have their own email account set up on them for communications. I also set up a wikispace to collect and share information about how we can use these in the classroom. Check out ipadschools.wikispaces.com.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Also check Fraser Speirs' blog Fraser Speirs - Blog
His junior school in Scotland have rolled out iPads for every child and he has kept an online record of the problems and pitfalls on the way.

So far he's pleased with the results.

arandall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help please!?!

How do I go about completing the backup? I have all of the apps organized in folders and do not think I can do that for all of the ipads without losing my mind.

You can just backup one on the first setup, then when you plug in the next don't say its a new device do a restore of the backup you just made...repeat for all 10, they will all be set up identically...when you plug them in they will sync up one at a time when there are updates.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A cart able to synch up to 30 iPads is available in the apple store,under cables and docks in the iPad section

DanMayhew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are also carts that handle 24, 32 and 40. Our school does not put all iPads in syncing carts. We prefer to use a shared syncing hub which also lets us control licenses better (and is a lot less expensive). There are quite a few tools out there. One company describes it as "creating your own ecosystem" for iPads.

Most reactions

Latest posts