What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 iPad 3 carrier Sims

JohnP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do a lot of travelling and would like to take my iPad with me, but the roaming charges are crazy.

As such, I have my current Bell Canada iPad plan, but would like to purchase a Sim card for a Plan in Germany and the same in Australia.

I tested out the idea of being able to simply swap SIM cards today by removing the Bell Sim and inserting a Telus Sim, but it didn't work.

Does anyone have any idea what I would have to do in order to be able to utilize these 3 carrier Sims without having to make major config changes every time or having to connect it to my laptop and iTunes everytime I change sims?

Cham_001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi JohnP

You pose a very interesting Post here, i too am very keen to await answers/responses to this.

My thoughts:
1.) is this overcome by an OS version upgrade -
BTW: *What OS are you using ? - does this matter?

2.) when will Apple create a Dual-SIM iPad?
This will certainly nail their market dominance!
This still only restricts you to 2 regions/territories/continents

3.) will a Jailbreak overcome this issue?
I am thinking along the lines of "Profiles", similar to how Windows-based computers run, having 1 profile for say Canada, one setup for Australia and finally the third for Germany.
Does anyone know whether a Jailbreak would provide this capability?

4.) do the iPads have a territorial/continental/regional*locks on them, that prevent these devices from being truly worldwide?

I am in a similar situation travelling frequently between the UK and Brazil, i too need to be sure that my device will work trouble-free back home in London on an Orange PAYG SIM Data only Plan!*

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I would use a huawei hotspot with a local prepaid data sim card.
That means you create two profiles - while connected to your notebook at home - in huawei settings with apn etc. for the respective card.
You connect via wifi to the hotspot and switch settings over the web interface while abroad.

So there is no need to hassle with iPad settings.

Does this sound reasonable?

Knut

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to input the APN settings for the carrier you are using.

Other than that, any old 3G data capable PAYG (prepaid) SIM should work if the country you are visiting doesn't have a carrier which offers a specific iPad or Data SIM.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do a lot of travelling and would like to take my iPad with me, but the roaming charges are crazy.

As such, I have my current Bell Canada iPad plan, but would like to purchase a Sim card for a Plan in Germany and the same in Australia.

I tested out the idea of being able to simply swap SIM cards today by removing the Bell Sim and inserting a Telus Sim, but it didn't work.

Does anyone have any idea what I would have to do in order to be able to utilize these 3 carrier Sims without having to make major config changes every time or having to connect it to my laptop and iTunes everytime I change sims?

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Thanks for your question about changing SIMs. When you inserted the Telus SIM, what configuration changes did you make in the iPad's native 'Settings' app? Did you change the APN? Have you got the network selection in 'Settings' set to 'Automatic'? If not, and it's set to Manual, it might be looking for your Bell network and trying to join that network using the Telus SIM. I have a (UK) iPad1 and regularly swap between SIMs without any trouble at all, so there's certainly no fundamental issue here. Get back to us again if this problem persists. If the second poster reads this (who wanted to use his iPad in the UK and Brazil) I can't comment on that country specifically but I've used mine in the US, Netherlands, Italy and Austria without any problems - both roaming ;-( and using locally purchased SIMs.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free from

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf

Also the iPad2 manual is available at the Apple iBooks store. It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad doesn't have any regional locks.

I'm currently using my UK iPad in Oman.

Most reactions