What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carrier question

phillo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post, apoligies if it is in the wrong section,. I have JB my ipad 2 and it is on the orange network, question is how can I use an 3uk sim card?, I had a Ipad 1 before and my sim worked fine, now when I insert into the new Ipad all I get is "Sim not supported, please insert correct sim". Is this something I am doing or do I have to get the carrier unlock off Orange??
Thanks in advance for any info.
Phillo:)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the UK the Orange iPad is locked to the Orange network and will not accept any other carrier's SIM. As far as I am aware, there is no unlock procedure. Since, to 'purchase' the Orange iPad I thought you had to sign a lengthy monthly contract, I'm not clear what the advantage would be of unlocking since, presumably, you'd still be tied to the monthly contract with Orange.

Tim

OP
P

phillo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Orange "Unlocking" Problem

Thanks for the info. It seems as though I have bought a Turkey then. I bought my IP2 off Ebay and was told that it could be unlocked, looks as though that ain't so!!. My IP1 was from BB and was fine so it will be a case of putting it back on Ebay then, I have seen them fetching around the £440 mark on orange so I will get me a new one then.
Thanks for the replies
Phil:eek:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - I am sorry to hear that. It's becoming an issue and we've had a couple of Members who have been sold iPads off eBay and been told they can be unlocked. I'm currently unaware of any company that is unlocking iPads.

Tim

lovetera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm currently unaware of any company that is unlocking iPads.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The carrier holding the lock can unlock it.

-t

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The trouble is, I doubt that they have any incentive to do this...:(

Does anyone know the legal situation vis-a-vis phone and iPad unlocking? I know that 'phone unlocking is relatively common but I've never been clear about the legal implications of this.

Tim

thethingx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as i know, i have heared about a judge in the US saying that unlocking phones is legal, it had quite an impact as companies cant prosecute anyone unlocking phones now. How this translates to UK i dont know though.

Most reactions