What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

YouTube app not working on new iPad2

Waynenz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought a new ipad2. I played a couple of kids videos on YouTube yesterday ok, but today no YouTube videos will run through the pre installed app on the home screen today. I can navigate around ok but it just stalls when trying to play, and ends up saying can't play movie.
Any help appreciated.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 or 4.3 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

OP
W

Waynenz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still no joy

Thanks for the reply...some great tips for me to learn from, hover still no joy, just keeps saying movie can not be played. Tried closing app and powering down the iPad. Any other ideas?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you say 'closing the app', did you close it in the multi-task bar, by pressing and holding any icon in the bar until they all start to jiggle then touching the upper left hand corner of the relevant app to completely close it?

Tim

BjarkeJarlHansen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it a wifi or 3G connection?

Tim SPRACKLEN said:
When you say 'closing the app', did you close it in the multi-task bar, by pressing and holding any icon in the bar until they all start to jiggle then touching the upper left hand corner of the relevant app to completely close it?

Tim

That Will delete the program.....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry - that is not correct. Apps that are jiggling in the *multi-task bar* are only closed by touching the upper left hand corner of the app, they are not deleted.

If you touch and hold an icon on the Home screen, however, and they start to jiggle and then touch the upper left hand corner then, yes, the app will be deleted, but you're given a warning.

Probably my original post was not clear about that distinction, so I apologise. It was good to clear this up for the OP.

Tim

OP
W

Waynenz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definitely closed all apps in the multitasking bar at the bottom of screen after double pushing the home button. I actually closed all the apps as well, not just you tube. Interesting, I can play videos in vimeo ok???
To answer the other person, I am using wifi model 16GB.

Cheers
Wayne

BjarkeJarlHansen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ÃŒf there had been any problems with the connection a popup would have appeared.

Last edited:
OP
W

Waynenz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is my speed test result

Your speed: 672.269 Kbps
Your latency: 0.356 seconds

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
The prpblem can be on Google side also... Strangely, I've seen a lot of comments saying that suddenly Youtube was not working on iPads. Yesterday, I could not reach one of the Google groups I usually go to while my groups were working perfectly...

There was a few odd behaviours this week with Google services...

VicoPad addict!

koham

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought a new ipad2. I played a couple of kids videos on YouTube yesterday ok, but today no YouTube videos will run through the pre installed app on the home screen today. I can navigate around ok but it just stalls when trying to play, and ends up saying can't play movie.
Any help appreciated.
Hi Waynenz,
I am having the exact same problem and it started happening last week. It seems to be all mobile devices. My wife has an Android and it doesn't work on that either. However, it works fine on my windows 7 laptop via wifi at home. If I use the wifi at work, it seems to work fine on my iPhone. So it doesn't work over wifi, only on mobile devices(iphone, ipad, android) in a specific area i.e. Ellerslie. You're not in ellersie, auckland by any chance... are you? I called up Apple Support and after talking for about an hour, they think something may have changed at the exchange. I tried contacting vodafone and they said nothing has changed. Not sure what exactly is going on.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, I too sometimes have trouble with YouTube. It usually clears up after a while, but overall, performance is fairly spotty, probably mostly due to connection speeds.

OP
W

Waynenz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem solved

Thanks for all the help!
I got hold of apple support today & in the end they got me to restore factory settings and start again. This seems to have solved the problem...for now at least, though I wonder when it might strike again.

Cheers all

koham

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help!
I got hold of apple support today & in the end they got me to restore factory settings and start again. This seems to have solved the problem...for now at least, though I wonder when it might strike again.

Cheers all

@Waynenz, Funny thing is that I called Vodafone (ISP) yesterday and they said that they hadn't changed anything and I went back home yesterday and youtube was working. I didn't have to do anything !!! I don't think I'll ever figure out what went wrong.

Most reactions

Latest posts