What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad2 / Atomic and YouTube

Goofy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok.. I'm 100% literate in PCs but Newbie for Apples and iPad2 !

I have reviewed many of the posts about Atomic browsing on YouTube... but I still don't get it.

I can watch YouTube via the YouTube app. I can watch YouTube videos via Safari. But I can not watch YouTube videos via Atomic, I get the "you need Flash" message.

Can someone explain this to me and or provide the work around for Atomic.. pleease...?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad does not support Flash. That's about the sum of it.

There are a few browsers that will serve Flash, but they use servers to reformat and deliver the web pages. That means they don't always do a very good job. The most popular are Sky-fire, Puffin, and iSwifter, with iSwifter being the current favorite, so I hear.

If you use Safari to go to YouTube, it will deliver a usable HTML5 experience. You can bypass it by going to the full desktop version with a link on the site, but it's extremely quirky.

Alternately you can sign up for YouTube's trial HTML5 site. I did this once, and it seemed to work for a while, but it eventually reverted by itself. And it was a bit of a pain to track down the right place to sign up. I don't remember how I did it.

The HTML5 version of YouTube does not deliver 100% of it's content. YMMV

GenerationX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reason that atomic says you need flash because YouTube thinks atomic is a desktop browser. Where as safari is considered an iPad browser to youtube

brrip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reason that atomic says you need flash because YouTube thinks atomic is a desktop browser. Where as safari is considered an iPad browser to youtube

that's not true. atomic's default state is to act like the ipad browser. you must have changed the browser agent to a pc browser.

to fix, go to settings > identify browser as > default

i view youtube videos in atomic all the time without any issue.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score

that's not true. atomic's default state is to act like the ipad browser. you must have changed the browser agent to a pc browser.

to fix, go to settings > identify browser as > default

i view youtube videos in atomic all the time without any issue.

Me too although I have Atomic set up to be identified as 'Safari iPad'. Plays You Tube just fine in the browser.

OP
G

Goofy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been there done that ???

Thanks for all of the suggestions... I have tried all of those settings.

Meaning...

I tried: Default - Mobile Safari
I tried: Mobile Safari - iPad

Same result.

Am I missing something here? Seems pretty straight forward... Especially if you folks can view YouTube videos using Atomic, eh?

Some other config setting?

Geo

appleeater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Youtube does not work anymore on iPad browsers

Last week I selected YouTube - html's Channel in both Safari and Atomic and in both cases YT showed the HTML versions.

I have set Atomic to the Safari 5 Mac user agent.
But now I had to reenable "join the html5" (why it has lost its setting I don't know) and after that it opened the movie with a spinning circle and did not play the movie.
It seems YT has reverted its H264 support.
And Safari keeps loading the FLash version ('upgrade your Flash player') despite I have set HTML on.
It seems YT stell heavily relies on Flash.

So I cannot view YT anymore on my iPad in any browser.

Is there a way to work around this ?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts