What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yahoo mail unable to access attachments

accessnubie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the new version of yahoo mail on the iPad, when viewing a message with an attachment , there is no link to click on to download the attachment. I dont see any place holder or option to click on. I have to switch to classic view to see the attachment and download it. What am I missing here?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I assume you mean the mobile site, or web app, whichever it is.

Tap an hold on the attachment, you will get a popup menu with actions appropriate to the file type.You may have to choose Open, then when the file is displayed in Safari tap in the middle of the screen and choose Open In.. to copy it to a compatible app. Because you are actually using Safari, only file types that Safari recognizes will work. For instance, you may not be able to do anything with .tar or .zip archive files. (not certain, because I have not tested these file types in Safari).

The Copy option copies the URL so that you can paste it to another document or browser.

Tapping and holding different parts of the email can give different menus. For instance, if I had tap-held the image instead of the attachment link I would have got a Save Picture option in the menu. That would save the image to the Photos app.

It is a lot easier to deal with attachments if you add the Yahoo account in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account, and use the native Mail app. Again, all you have to do is to tap and hold on the attachment (or on the documenting he body of the email). You'll get a menu of options. If you have any compatible apps you will get an Open In choice. Choose that to copy the file to a compatible app.

In Mail, if the attachment is surrounded by a dotted line, then it is not downloaded yet. Tap it once to start the download. When it is finished it will have a solid line around it. At that point you can tap and hold for options.

Attachments

• Yahoo_Attach.jpg
    Yahoo_Attach.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,061
OP
A

accessnubie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank u VERY much for the detailed reply. However, running yahoo mail in safari, there is no link or image to click at all. It's a jpeg file -I am able to see/open it on the pc and on my droid phone. Other than the paper clip thees no indication of an attachment
I didn't setup my yahoo acct as the mail app because others use the iPad. Unless there's a way to
Password protect it???....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. I'm afraid the exhausts my knowledge of Yahoo via Safari.

There is no way to password protect the Mail app.

If you use the iPad infrequently, and with the permission of the owner (since you would be able to view their email), you could add the account when you need it, then delete it when done.

I can't think of any other way to do it, unless your account is a Yahoo Mail Plus account (paid for). Then you might be able to use other apps to access it. Apple obviously swung a deal of some sort with Yahoo. Mail is the only app (computer or iPad) that I know of that can connect directly to a free Yahoo account.

Most reactions