What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

xtremeplayer pro add-on x12 volume

newbie_biker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying this add-on has anyone tried this? The built in video player is good for watching movies but it does not support flv,mkv and few other formats. the volume level on the built in player is high as i can watch a movie without wearing headphones. But i would like to know if anyone has tried that x12 volume add-on because without the add-on for xtremeplayer pro the volume level is quite low .

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Don't bother with this app at all. Generally, its compatibility / performance is weak (albeit I've seen even worse players). Regarding its audio boost functionality, it is very bad and doesn't come even close to the quality of that of GoodPlayer. The sound becomes highly distorted when you enable it, unlike with GoodPlayer. (I've written a complete, long review of the title. I can't link it, due to forum rules, but you'll find it by googling for "review PlayerXtreme". My review will be on the first page. You'll surely recognize it as it's an in-depth, critical (as opposed to just repeating the intro text of the app) review with tons of images.)

OP
N

newbie_biker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you for the reply . I activated the add ons yesterday for $2.99 and yes the x12 sound boost claim is false. I am so disappointed. It is still not as good as the stock Videos. the app that you have mentioned is the sound level in it better than Videos and does it support subtitles like srt and sub? I hate wearing headphones while watching videos on my iPad.

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you for the reply . I activated the add ons yesterday for $2.99 and yes the x12 sound boost claim is false. I am so disappointed. It is still not as good as the stock Videos. the app that you have mentioned is the sound level in it better than Videos and does it support subtitles like srt and sub? I hate wearing headphones while watching videos on my iPad.

GoodPlayer has one of the best volume boosting methods BUT it only works with non-hardware-accelerated playback, ruling out MOV / MP4 / M4V files entirely (if you want to play them in hardware).

Other choices if you want seamless hardware playback support:

- jailbreak and use XBMC, its volume booster is also OK
- wait for the next version of "It's Playing", it'll have seamless HW decoding with volume boost. (The current version, on the other hand, sucks.)

OP
N

newbie_biker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
most of the videos I watch are in mp4 format. So I guess goodplayer is not suitable for me ?If I jailbreak won't it void my warranty?

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
most of the videos I watch are in mp4 format. So I guess goodplayer is not suitable for me ?

Are they hi-res? If yes, and you do need volume boost, your only choice is "It's Playing" (unless you jailbreak), which has been released today and is excellent at playing back MP4's (but not necessarily other formats). Will post a detailed review of it later today.

If I jailbreak won't it void my warranty?

Nope, if you just restore the factory firmware before taking it to the service. It's one click in the desktop iTunes.

OP
N

newbie_biker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how do you jailbreak? i am running ios 5.1 I still have not updated to 5.1.1

Menneisyys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
how do you jailbreak? i am running ios 5.1 I still have not updated to 5.1.1

Update to 5.1.1 NOW, get the yesterday-released Absinthe and run it. But, you should read at least some articles and tutorials regarding the advantages (and possible dangers) of jailbreaking before doing so: after all, you can now use It's Playing for decent volume boost even on non-jailbroken devices.

Most reactions

Latest posts