What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headphones stopped working

Bocaire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an audio problem with my iPad2. Suddenly my headphone output has stoped working. The normal audio, without headphones seems normal. But when the phones are plugged in no sound is heard.

I researched the problem, and located a set of steps to try, to fix the problem. These steps were

The solution was to go to Settings
Then to iPod
Then to volume limit - turn volume up to max or near max
A pop up will ask you to lock the volume limit
Voila headphones worked again for everything

I did go to settings, but nowhere can I find any "iPod" item, so I'm stopped from going any further.

I printed out the full iPad2 manual when I got the unit as a gift, and have read it over completely. And it does mention "iPod" in a few places, but I cannot locate anything labeled "iPod" on my iPad, anywhere.

I am a high tech individual, but that's in the PC world. The Apple world is pretty much of a stranger to me.

So, can anyone help me to get my headphones working again in my iPad2?

Thanks for any help.

MarkWM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you might have gotten a bad set of headphones. Have you tried another pair?

OP
B

Bocaire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you might have gotten a bad set of headphones. Have you tried another pair?

I should have mentioned that I tried 3 different headphones, and none worked. But the headphones were working for months, before they stopped working.

I just now upgraded to IOS 6, and after that upgrade finished, the phones were now working again. Possibly this upgrade reset some settings somewhere.

But I would still like to know where the "iPod" item I mentioned in my original message is located. I could not find any such item under settings, and I would like to lock the volume limit.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bocaire said:
I have an audio problem with my iPad2. Suddenly my headphone output has stoped working. The normal audio, without headphones seems normal. But when the phones are plugged in no sound is heard.

I researched the problem, and located a set of steps to try, to fix the problem. These steps were

The solution was to go to Settings
Then to iPod
Then to volume limit - turn volume up to max or near max
A pop up will ask you to lock the volume limit
Voila headphones worked again for everything

I did go to settings, but nowhere can I find any "iPod" item, so I'm stopped from going any further.

I printed out the full iPad2 manual when I got the unit as a gift, and have read it over completely. And it does mention "iPod" in a few places, but I cannot locate anything labeled "iPod" on my iPad, anywhere.

I am a high tech individual, but that's in the PC world. The Apple world is pretty much of a stranger to me.

So, can anyone help me to get my headphones working again in my iPad2?

Thanks for any help.

The settings and process you outlined is for an iPod classic. A friend of mine had that exact problem on her classic. I don't believe there is setting like that on the iPad.

OP
B

Bocaire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The settings and process you outlined is for an iPod classic. A friend of mine had that exact problem on her classic. I don't believe there is setting like that on the iPad.

In the iPad2 Manual, there is material related to the iPod on page 36, and there are also several iPad entries in the Index. Why in the world would that be there??

I'm guessing that the iPad2 may also have a setting to turn up the volume limit, and also to then lock that in place. I have seen the LOCK option on a screen somewhere in the iPad2.0

Assuming that is so, how do I get to the Volume Setting Limit, and then to setting to lock that limit?

The fact that after I upgraded to iOS 6, that the headset was again functional, leads me to believe that some settings were set back to default, and that restored the headphone functionality. If so, turning up the volume, and locking it there might stop this problem from reoccurring.

It specifically states in the manual under an IPad heading to "Set iPAD to use use the iTunes Volume Settings - Choose iPod and etc. re volume settings"

Possibly this can only be done when I've connected my iPAD to iTunes via my computer, and in there may be the settings.

I have to say that Apple has a screwy way with all of this. They absolutely are unclear about this whole matter.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Found it. The iPod App was renamed Music in iOS 5' so you must have a manual for iOS 4 or earlier. So it is at Settings -> Music -> volume Limit. It should be defaulting to off, which is probably safer, but if you have it on and want to use this option, then you can make your changes there.

OP
B

Bocaire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found it. The iPod App was renamed Music in iOS 5' so you must have a manual for iOS 4 or earlier. So it is at Settings -> Music -> volume Limit. It should be defaulting to off, which is probably safer, but if you have it on and want to use this option, then you can make your changes there.

Thanks for your reply. Yesterday I finally located that also. Since I got my iPad2 in mid 2011, I may well have a manual for iOS 4.

That is a strange change to make for Apple. It was a very frustrating search. And as I noted, when I upgraded to iOS 6 , the headphone problem did disappear.

Johnnybegood69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
BRILLIANT! I was about to give up! Thank you thank you thank you! :thumbs: :)

Most reactions

Latest posts