What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Writing in Portuguese with a Smart Keyboard in Spanish

Zeolithe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes I need to write in Portuguese in my iPad Pro 10.5 with a Smart Keyboard in Spanish. How can I write for example “coração”, the problem is “ã”. Can someone help me? Thank you very much in advance. José Luís.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes I need to write in Portuguese in my iPad Pro 10.5 with a Smart Keyboard in Spanish. How can I write for example “coração”, the problem is “ã”. Can someone help me? Thank you very much in advance. José Luís.
Press the Option key and then the N key while still holding down the option key. This will display the correct accent. Now type the letter a and it will be displayed with the correct accent. Other acccnts can be accessed by following the directions on this site.
Macintosh Accent Codes

Last edited:
OP
Z

Zeolithe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It really works. Thank you very much. Best Regards, José Luis.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you add the Portuguese keyboard in Settings > General > Keyboard, then you can use the globe key on the Smart Keyboard to switch languages. You won’t be able to see the layout change on the hardware keyboard, but it will remap the keys.

If you prefer one of the Spanish layouts, they are also available.

I don’t know how to type the accent marks on the Portuguese keyboard, but I see they are there; so there must be some method.

Portuguese keyboard layout - Wikipedia

C64C4047-2A57-44FC-BC0F-138D2E046FE3.jpeg

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you use accented words frequently, you can add the word as a keyboard shortcut, complete with accents, and then use an unaccented version, which iOS will change automatically. For example, I often want to type the name of the composer, Dvořák, so I set up a k/b shortcut allowing me to type dvorak. The shortcut will be automatically throughout your Apple system. Add it using your iPad, and it will be available on your Mac and iPhone.

Most reactions

Latest posts