What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worry, Worry Worry ... Why?

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll bet I have read most of the posts on protective covers, films, and cases that are so talked about on this and other forums.

Do we ever stop and think about all the extra money we are spending on this stuff.

I think Apple had it right to offer a simple, but elegant Smart Cover. The key in my mind was not the display protection ... rather it is slick way to turn it on and off, automatically when we open and close the cover. Just a simple magnet. The other is a convenient stand.

Apple already did several things:

First the glass is super tough, and scratch resistant.
Second, they added a coating to make it easy to wipe off finger prints

That's it folks.

Sure, the aluminum case will scratch, and the thin armor skins are good on the back. But, do you really need more?

When you work in Retail you quickly learn to sell the accessories ... that's where the profit is. So it is sell, sell, sell. So they get you to worry, worry, worry. Then you buy, buy, buy.

First off, the so-called thin films over the display actually reduce the touch sensitivity (certainly can't make it better)
Next, it has to interfere with the display quality ... the picture gets diffused through another substrate ... it can only degrade the image.
Finally, it is not cost effective. It is just plain good enough as it is. IMHO.

Sure I can make a case where the add-on film saved the day. If I don't others certainly will ... they do ... they have ... and everyone is in a tizzy.
It is just overkill, and they are getting y'all to part with a lot of money.
Tis your choice. As always. Just think about it. Choices, choices, decisions! I like KISS.;)

Last edited:

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Personally, the cost of the extras doesn't really concern me. But that's just me :p

Secondly, I agree on the protective cover. I've got a smart cover and that's all i want. I've tried protective covers in the past but it's never as good as looking directly at the screen as it is. And, touch wood, I've never have my screens scratch with the normal usage over the years I've had with them.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad1 really does need a case as it can easily slip through your fingers.
The iPad2 however is much easier to grip and I don't feel the same need to protect it. Just hope I not proven wrong.

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally, the cost of the extras doesn't really concern me. But that's just me :p

Secondly, I agree on the protective cover. I've got a smart cover and that's all i want. I've tried protective covers in the past but it's never as good as looking directly at the screen as it is. And, touch wood, I've never have my screens scratch with the normal usage over the years I've had with them.

You must have better eyes than I... I always use Crystal Clear type protectors and I can't even tell it's on there. I hate those antiglare/antifinger prints one though. The plastic of course scratches more easily than the glass so it can start to look messy after awhile.

However, I got a scratch on my ipod touch that I wouldn't ever want on my iPad so I'm going to use a protector. My girlfriend doesn't use it and her screen seems fine though (she has the original iPad with Apple case.)

Another thing I'm considering now that I never used to consider in electronics is the resale value. I actually plan on selling my iPad 2 in a year if iPad 3 has features I wouldnt mind paying about $200 to upgrade. (sell iPad 2 for $200 less and buy new I mean)

NCTurner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad1 really does need a case as it can easily slip through your fingers.
The iPad2 however is much easier to grip and I don't feel the same need to protect it. Just hope I not proven wrong.

LOL...you guys need to read this thread:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-fo...-screen-got-free-replacement-apple-store.html

Personally, I am keeping my ipad2 wrapped with a nice case (though no screen protector.) I personally think a case looks more professional, at least in my workplace. I think it also somewhat reduces the chance of someone stealing it, as it looks more like a book or notepad, with a case on it, then a $600 electronic device (though I never set it down in public places anyway...lol.)

droid2mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure the extras cost money, so does the iPad. When I carry my iPad in my backpack along with all the other junk, it needs some protection. I'm very mobile and my devices show it. Some people who never take devices out of the house may not need the protection. But i do.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Smart cover does a good job for mine, no complaints!

Reaction score
I bought a Zagg mate for the keyboard and Zagg threw the cover/case part and stand for free :D
I carry my naked Incredible in a leather holster. I initially had an anti glare screen protector on it but found naked and auto bright works just fine in bright sunlight. My iPad is useless in bright sun if the screen is dirty with fingerprints and I'm. Not spending $20+ just for a marginal improvement.
Question for an above post; how is the ipad2 grippier than the ipad1? Is the back made of a less slick material? I haven't noticed any difference. Thanks

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

RickyBobby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I put that Armor Guardz on the front and back because I carry it in a cab all day and hand it to the customers to play music videos. It has fallen to the floor at least a hundred times and it is pretty much unbreakable.

I would not worry about it so much as far as physical damage because it is tougher than nails.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The glass is tough but it's not scratch or shatter proof. The back is easily scratched but if you put a think film guard on, it won't help much if you drop your device. At least with a case, there is a better chance of the device surviving a fall.
Finally, a lot of people like to sell and upgrade to the latest. By using a case and screen protector, it makes it more likely the device will be in an as new condition and fetch a higher resell price. I don't worry but I like to look after my stuff, especially something relatively expensive that I use daily.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 64GB wifi model so it was a nice chunk of change and I want to protect it. I have the smart cover, switcheasy coverbuddy, Radtech screen protector, a softcase with a handle to carry it in and a wacom bamboo stylus. All in all I spent about $110 (not including the stylus). Plus it will keep the unit near mint condition so if/when I go to sell it, it will make it easier because of the condition.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll bet I have read most of the posts on protective covers, films, and cases that are so talked about on this and other forums.

Do we ever stop and think about all the extra money we are spending on this stuff.

I think Apple had it right to offer a simple, but elegant Smart Cover. The key in my mind was not the display protection ... rather it is slick way to turn it on and off, automatically when we open and close the cover. Just a simple magnet. The other is a convenient stand.

Apple already did several things:

First the glass is super tough, and scratch resistant.
Second, they added a coating to make it easy to wipe off finger prints

That's it folks.

Sure, the aluminum case will scratch, and the thin armor skins are good on the back. But, do you really need more?

When you work in Retail you quickly learn to sell the accessories ... that's where the profit is. So it is sell, sell, sell. So they get you to worry, worry, worry. Then you buy, buy, buy.

First off, the so-called thin films over the display actually reduce the touch sensitivity (certainly can't make it better)
Next, it has to interfere with the display quality ... the picture gets diffused through another substrate ... it can only degrade the image.
Finally, it is not cost effective. It is just plain good enough as it is. IMHO.

Sure I can make a case where the add-on film saved the day. If I don't others certainly will ... they do ... they have ... and everyone is in a tizzy.
It is just overkill, and they are getting y'all to part with a lot of money.
Tis your choice. As always. Just think about it. Choices, choices, decisions! I like KISS.;)

Choice includes people making buying decisions that suit them, not others. Just think about it. Lol.

I'm not into accessories, but unless people are spending my money, it's not my business.

Most reactions

Latest posts