What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless routers

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users. It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think there any specific brands that you need to worry about. Any of the major players are fine. My iPad is working very well with Time Warner's new roadrunner extreme modem-router combination which is actually beyond b/g/n. Linksys, Netgear, Apples brand, etc, etc.

You shouldn't have any trouble using any of he major ones.

gatecitycanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm gonna hijack this thread for a general router question.

Is there any value in having one of the newer routers? I've had one of those old blue Linksys routers for years. I notice that a lot of sites are running sales on newer routers that all claim to be faster than older models. Am I missing out?

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
gatecitycanes said:

Is there any value in having one of the newer routers? I've had one of those old blue Linksys routers for years. I notice that a lot of sites are running sales on newer routers that all claim to be faster than older models. Am I missing out?

Yes! I had one of those old routers and finally upgraded to the lowest price Linksys 1000 N router. The difference is very obvious....faster, more stable, more secure, and well worth the minor investment. In fact, wal mart had the Cisco Valet on sale for $25 on black Friday (same company as Linksys). I plan to install it at my moms house and she doesn't even use wireless....ha ha. It's for my occasional need when I visit.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Well the 802.11 Wi-Fi wireless standards are well defined so that brands & models should all work fine w/ the iPad; speed is a main issue if you want to stream audio and especially HD video, so obtain the fastest standard possible if that is an issue (i.e. G or N, the latter being the fastest) - routers are inexpensive, so if you are only running the older B standard and need to stream AV at a faster & more reliable rate, then an upgrade would be a consideration - :)

Kursac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The wireless N are not just faster but the range is considerably better and the integrity of the connection with multiple users is vastly greater.

Last edited by a moderator:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to add to the conversation, as mentioned, the current standard, 802.11n is considerably better than it's predecessors in both range, speed and security. That said the iPad employs 802.11g architecture (fully compatible with 802.11n) but favors WPA or WPA2 security for a stable and secure connection, something that may not be available in older Wi-Fi routers (which generally only offer the older and not-very-secure WEP protocol).

The Apple Airport Express Gabriel recommended earlier is a good option. We have FiOS broadband and the Wi-Fi modem/router supplied by our ISP is in bridge mode so that I can utilize both an Apple Airport Extreme and an Apple Airport Time Capsule (which is basically an Airport Extreme with a built-in hard drive) in our house. Apple's Airport Extreme is pricer than standard Wi-Fi routers, but both it and the Time Capsule required almost no setup, no maintenance and work phenomenally well with our iPad and all of our "iDevices".

Last edited:

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am certainly no wifi expert; however, I have the Linksys 4200 and I LOVE it!!! So easy to set up for a lay person such as myself and it just WORKS!!! Works beautifully with my iPad 2 and iPhone 4. Very fast - faster than 3G.

When I am home that's all I use with my iPad as I am on the Verizon 2GB and would go broke otherwise without the router just using paid 3G data.

Sent from my Tricked Out, Sparkly Pink Black Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you running a Windows or Mac computer? If the latter I would get an Apple Airport Extreme. Keeps everything Apple and seamless. If the former, a Linksys 4200.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twix123 said:
Ive decided on the netgear N600 Wireless Dual Brand Router WNDR3400.

Cool. Let us know how it works out for you.

Sent from my Tricked Out, Sparkly Pink Black Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF

MarionSnowdon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm totally new to the back up philosophy. I have an iPad and I use GoodReader extensively. I save a lot of PDF stuff (lecture notes) and use this app to write extensive notes onto these PDF documents. Now, I want to back all this up, and I can't get a straight answer anywhere about whether I can back up my modified PDF's from my iPad onto Time Capsule.

Does anyone know whether GoodReader and Time Capsule are compatible? If they're not, what should I get for a back up system??

Danno2332

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recommend putting a router between your LAN and the telecom modem/switch. Otherwise the telecom can monitor your internal LAN.

Most reactions

Latest posts