What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will my iPad loose jailbreak if I change the user account?

Surfinette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I intend to give my JBroken iOS5.0.1 ipad 2 to my mum.
In the process, I plan to erase all my stuff and create a new account for her.

Will I be forced to upgrade to a newer version of ios (5.1.1) and thus loose the jailbreak when switching the iPad from my account to hers?

Is there a way to avoid loosing the jailbreak in the process, because I'd wish she could use a jailbroken device (simply because of the autospell tweak, which makes typing so much easier).

Thanks in advance for your answers

Rgds

Surfinette

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, you don't have to lose the jail break, you just have to be careful about how you remove your "stuff.". Whatever you do, DON'T pick any of the options in the Settings app to either restore or reset! That'll make a mess for sure and you will lose the jailbreak.

Just make sure you sign out of any account you are signed in. For example, delete all your e-mail accounts and contacts (there's a ne Cydia tweak called "OneByOne Contacts" that lets you just swipe on a contact to delete it. Very handy...).

Oh, and unless you are going to maintain it for her under your Apple ID and iTunes, sign out of the App Store. Then, she can put her ID in so she can buy her own apps. Do keep in mind that if you do that, you'll have to log in every now and then so that you can update the apps that were loaded under your ID.

Essentially, just remove your personal stuff from the iPad. Apple's EULA allows you to share apps with a family member, so you don't have to ally clean it up (as in, remove apps) before you give it to your mom. You just want to make sure your personal information is not loaded - and that hers is.

Hope some of this helps. Holler back if you've got more questions.

Marilyn

P.S. After I wrote all that, I remembered that there is now the new jail breaking tool where, IF you have SHSH blobs for iOS 5.0.1, you can restore an iPad2 to iOS 5.1.1 and then downgrade it to and re-jailbreak it on iOS 5.0.1. Here's the tutorial on that: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=76087

It may be easier to start out with a fresh iPad, versus deleting all your stuff off it. Of course, and as always, YMMV. Just a thought...

OP
S

Surfinette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for this well detailed answer.
Even though I think I saved my blobs at the time I did the jailbreak (I just have to remember where I saved them!), I think I'll chose the first option, ie remove my personal stuff and keep the apps, so that she doesn't have to purchase/download them.
I just wonder: how do I sign out of the App Store?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Surfinette said:
Thank you for this well detailed answer.
Even though I think I saved my blobs at the time I did the jailbreak (I just have to remember where I saved them!), I think I'll chose the first option, ie remove my personal stuff and keep the apps, so that she doesn't have to purchase/download them.
I just wonder: how do I sign out of the App Store?

Follow these to sign out of the App Store.....

image-761721020.jpg

image-403819412.jpg

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts