What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will 16 gig be enough

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hello iam saveing up for my ipad and i wonder if the 16 gig modle will be enough or i just get the 32 gig.
i will be mostly surfing the web and i tunes. no games i have a PS3 and 360 for my gameing needs.
thanks all for helping

B

banksiabytes

Depends on whether you will be saving videos etc to the iPad.

We have a 32G Pad and have used just over 10G in 18 months. We have over 150 apps but very little in the way of documents kept on the Pad. Several hundred images. No videos.

Some apps can be quite large but most of those we have are less the 100M.

OP
T

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thanks i wont be keeping documents on it either and i did not know that some apps where that big.
so i rather be safe and just get the 32 gig model :)

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
32 gig is plenty for me, and I have a lot of games

Redneck_Randy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i did not know that some apps where that big.

To give you an idea of app size.

NAVFree USA with only 3 states load is 431mb

Tiger Woods 12 Golf for iPad is 408mb

Need for Speed app is 382mb

That's over 1gig for just three apps

Enjoy your iPad :D

Bill6044

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I (with my son's help) got a new iPad2 for my wife. We don't forsee much in the way of large volume video/image/audio on this device. It has only 16g.
We have started with a few apps, including a huge library of egw religious writings and bible software. Still have 12 gigs available.

So, I feel strongly that 16 is fine for her.

If you need lotsa space for video, etc. get more memory.

$100 is a little steep for 16g of extra memory,, but to have inside and useable in such a kewl device,, quite a bargain!

I want a '3'.. and I'll probably get 32g.

Enjoy!

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are saving videos and a lot of music, then go 32. I don't so I'm perfectly happy with my 16. I never could understand why somebody would save all their music on the iPad. Much better options out there for that. And how many videos do you want to store on it too? I would just load what you want to watch on a trip, or over the next week. It is easy enough to dump and reload new ones.

Daved2006

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Two points to make here.

Bear in mind that you dont get the full 16gb. You only get 14gb as far as I can remember.

Also whilst travelling is where I really appreciate my ipad and you may wish to load it up with movies, apps and photos etc and 14gb is never enough for me.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems that 32GB is the right choice for most people and only in extreme cases is the 16 or the 64 the right call. You'll have to determine what your usage will be but 32GB is almost always enough for most users.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
32gb is fine. I would have got that if I could have waited for it to come in here and I ended up getting the 64gb. I have almost half filled it but with films I may never watch again! I would not recommend the 16gb.

INMY01TA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 16 gig. Don't know if it will be enough yet but I know it cost enough. :) Seriously I haven't come close to running out of space yet. If I do, I'll make do.

elau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have a 16G but I store all my music and video in iCloud. When I am flying, I use my iPhone for music. I watch movies over Netflex so I only do that in the hotel room using wi-fi. I am not the type who likes to pull up personal pictures and view them in public.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My advice is: get the most capacity you can afford. You'll be happy to have plenty of space left over rather than sad that you've already run out of space.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with Michael. I thought of getting the 16GB but went for the 32GB for those just in case moments. I'm glad I did as I'm a lover of music and I teach science so I need space for all my apps, docs etc... I'm going for 64GB next time. I think that we all have individual needs and some of us will only need 16 and some 64 so you have to ask yourself- Will I use it? Only you can answer this. If you are a first timer, then that decision will be harder as you won't know. 32GB covers all bases for me but next time 64GB.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts