What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi problem on 8.0.2

Ingliside

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad Air has problems keeping connection to wifi since update, have to reset to make connection, any ideas ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Turn off your router for a few minutes. While the router is off go to Settings > General > Reset and Reset All Network Settings. When the router is back on line re-join your network.

This usually works.

But, there have been reported Safari internet slowdown (not disconnect) problems with the new update. That's been harder to squash. I'm hoping iOS 8.1 will do the job. We'll probably see that sometime towards the end of October along with Apple Pay, new iPads, and the OS X Yosemite roll out.

That's a guess, just a guess.

Webalistic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.webalistic.com
I've also been wondering about the connectivity in IOS8. Especially safari seems to have issues.
While browsing things slow down and then stop working. Switching to another browser shows, there's still connectivity.
My Air also keeps mentioning there's no SIM whenever I access internet after not using it for a while (using any app). Maybe there's a relation there where the ipad keeps expecting connectivity via mobile connection?
And sometimes connectivity halts altogether, only to be fixed by turning off wifi or a reset (home+pwr)
Never had any issues before IOS8.

OP
I

Ingliside

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Turn off your router for a few minutes. While the router is off go to Settings > General > Reset and Reset All Network Settings. When the router is back on line re-join your network.

This usually works.

But, there have been reported Safari internet slowdown (not disconnect) problems with the new update. That's been harder to squash. I'm hoping iOS 8.1 will do the job. We'll probably see that sometime towards the end of October along with Apple Pay, new iPads, and the OS X Yosemite roll out.

That's a guess, just a guess.

Have done this, will let you know if this is the answer, I am using a BT Homehub5 with dual band 2.4 and 5ghz in the UK.

OP
I

Ingliside

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good luck.
Sorry but your idea didn't work . However found that problem only appears when on 5 Ghz, so disabled it and it now appears to work fine now on 2.4Ghz. BT Homehub5 switches automatically between the two. My wife's iPad mini which is on ISO 8.0 or my iPhone 4s on iOS 8.0 did not have the problem !!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've seen that before. I don't know why it happens. A few years back I had a supposedly robust D-Link router that would not play nice with my iPad at 5 GHz. On the other hand, my Airport Express works fine with my iPad on both bands; as it should.

Ruckles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife and I each have an iPad Air, and have both had problems with wifi since installing iOS 8. I've tried rebooting the iPad, resetting Network settings, resetting the wifi router, and even resetting my iPad back to factory settings and setting it up as a completely new device. Nothing seemed to cure the problem of wifi and application freezes. It is particularly noticeable on the "TuneIn Radio" application, that I use a lot, that simply could not connect.

I too am using a BT HomeHub5 router, that the iPads automatically connect to the 5Ghz channel on. I have now changed the name of the 5Ghz channel, so I can choose whether to use this or not - well, it appears to have cured the problem!

If I connect to the 2.4Ghz channel, everything works fine; try the 5Ghz channel and it fails again. I've tried this about a dozen times, and it is consistent. We were both having to reboot our iPads at least every hour due to freezes, but my wife's has been fine for 48hours now on the 2.4Ghz connection.

I remain convinced that the problem is with iOS 8 - we didn't have this problem with iOS 7 - and hope that someone from Apple reads this, as it may help them identify the issue. In the meantime, this may help others like myself.

Best wishes

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .hope that someone from Apple reads this, as it may help them identify the issue

Best wishes

If you want to give Apple feedback, this link would be more reliable than posting here. Don't expect a personal response.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

The other thing you can do is make sure you have Automatic Send turned on in Settings > Privacy > Diagnostics & Usage. There is another switch for developers if you want to help them improve their apps.

Ian C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If anyone would like to explain to me how to disable/change the 5GHZ setting that would be just peachy.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can let us know what router you have. If you are lucky someone here has the same model and knows where the setting is.

Otherwise: It is a bit different in every router brand, and sometimes even between models of the same brand. You'll want to consult your router's manual, or check out the manufacturer's support site.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If anyone would like to explain to me how to disable/change the 5GHZ setting that would be just peachy.
Hi Ian and welcome to the forum.
Being relatively new here you may have overlooked that part of the Forum Rules which do not allow the same question being asked in different threads, as doing that fragments the conversation and may create confusion as to where to lodge/read an answer. Your subsequent post in the iPad Air forum has been deleted.
It appears that both of those threads have to some extent already addressed your question, which is dependant on the type of router you have. Some have a clear switch-over button whilest others may require reference to the supplier, as indicated within the threads. Googling your question may help or hopefully others may chime in with a new slant on answers provided.
Again, welcome Ian and enjoy the forum:)
Andrew

Ruckles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Ian,

On the BT HomeHub 5, you can find the URL of the router on the BT website.
1. Enter this URL into your browser and you'll see all the devices connected, and what they are connected to (e.g. 5 or 2.4 Ghz).
2. Click on 'Advanced Settings' and enter your Admin password (unless you've changed this, you'll find it on the small card on the router).
3. Click on 'Wireless' then '5 Ghz Wireless'.
4. Set 'Sync with 2.4 GHz' to NO. You will now see the 'Wireless SSID' which you can change (e.g. append 5GHZ to the current name).
5. Apply the change, and anything previously connected to 5Ghz will now connect to 2.4, but you can still select the 5Ghz setting using the new name if you want.

Hope that helps!
Cheers

Ian C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, what a very strange rule and just because I mistakenly replied to a link mentioned in the thread I started instead of the original thread.

Anyway, sorry to rather invade this thread now mine has been deleted but I have done this with my iPad and although it's not actually stopping any more it's now incredibly slow when going between pages and opening videos etc.

Is it possible to just use it on the 5GHZ channel instead, surely that's quicker?

dasipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, what a very strange rule and just because I mistakenly replied to a link mentioned in the thread I started instead of the original thread.

Anyway, sorry to rather invade this thread now mine has been deleted but I have done this with my iPad and although it's not actually stopping any more it's now incredibly slow when going between pages and opening videos etc.

Is it possible to just use it on the 5GHZ channel instead, surely that's quicker?
Under your Wi-Fi settings, you should find an option to "Forget This Network"....try this to clear out the 2.4GHz network and it should then default to 5GHz.....
YMMV.....I've never done this myself....but my iPhone 6 is notorious for "dropping" my 5GHz network connection and reverting to 2.4GHZ......a bit annoying!!:(

Most reactions

Latest posts