What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi + or - Cellular

MrData

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am planning on buying an iPad Air with WiFi. If, in the future, I want to use cellular to connect would I just plug in a SIM and set up an account with a wireless company or would I have to change the network card or something like that.
Does WiFi only just mean the iPad doesn't come packaged with a cellular contract.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wifi only means that you can NOT ever use the iPad with cellular data since it will be lacking the hardware. You'd have to buy an iPad that is cell data ready. Like I did. Usually, you can change carriers even though you have to select a carrier at the time of purchase. I chose AT&T and have been very pleased with the service thus far.

OP
MrData

MrData

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:) Thanx -- that's what I thought would be the case, just wanted to make sure.

ripipemender

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have iPhone you can set it as a hot spot with most carriers, save $$$ on purchase of iPad, save extra equipment on cell account

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have iPhone you can set it as a hot spot with most carriers, save $$$ on purchase of iPad, save extra equipment on cell account

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did that for a while with my iPad 2. Hated it. One of the pleasures of taking your iPad mobile is how quickly you can start using it. Reading the forum on the bus, checking your social networks for a few minutes at the park (in the middle of a walk), or even browsing while you catch a meal at Subways.

All of these things become a hassle if you have to take out your iPhone, turn on the hotspot, then wait for the iPad to connect. You might just as well settle for the smaller screen on the iPhone.

The hotspot experience with an iPad is a lot like the old laptop and hotspot combo. Fine, if you are going somewhere without wi-fi to sit and work for several minutes to an hour; but too much trouble for quick, casual usage.

That would go double for an iPad Mini. What's the point in having an extra-portable device that can't be used anywhere you go, instantly?

To me the extra $130 device cost and extra $10 per month carrier fee (to add it to my existing data plan) is well worth the savings in time and convenience.

Not that I expect every one to agree. Different folks, different. . .

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did that for a while with my iPad 2. Hated it. One of the pleasures of taking your iPad mobile is how quickly you can start using it. Reading the forum on the bus, checking your social networks for a few minutes at the park (in the middle of a walk), or even browsing while you catch a meal at Subways.

All of these things become a hassle if you have to take out your iPhone, turn on the hotspot, then wait for the iPad to connect. You might just as well settle for the smaller screen on the iPhone.

The hotspot experience with an iPad is a lot like the old laptop and hotspot combo. Fine, if you are going somewhere without wi-fi to sit and work for several minutes to an hour; but too much trouble for quick, casual usage.

That would go double for an iPad Mini. What's the point in having an extra-portable device that can't be used anywhere you go, instantly?

To me the extra $130 device cost and extra $10 per month carrier fee (to add it to my existing data plan) is well worth the savings in time and convenience.

Not that I expect every one to agree. Different folks, different. . .

So true Mr. Twerppoet ... My next iPad will be a wifi/cellular one for all the reasons you listed!! :)

katefsd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am planning on buying an iPad Air with WiFi. If, in the future, I want to use cellular to connect would I just plug in a SIM and set up an account with a wireless company or would I have to change the network card or something like that.
Does WiFi only just mean the iPad doesn't come packaged with a cellular contract.
It is good to purchase a new iPad there you need to have good connect, I have personal Experience of using xxsim that is wonderful. It is roaming free around the globe. you can connect with family with friends without any roaming charges.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My last two iPads have been cellular models. The main reason is that (just like twerppoet) my cell provider allows me to share my 5GB/mo phone data plan for an extra $10 mo.

Is the 10 bucks worth it?

Yes... Again, like twerpoet, I find turning tethering on and off as required, and/or sniffing around for WiFi hot spots in order to access the net is a pain. On top of that, our local LTE service is at least 10X faster than most of the free WiFi hot spots in the places I normally visit. The extra speed makes mobile surfing away from home a much more pleasant experience.

One more thing... The Cellular iPad has a built in GPS receiver and the WiFi only version does not. If you ever plan on using Navigation apps, you should go with the Cell model.

I use an app called GPS Drive. (I do have a Garmin Nuvi GPS, but I only use it as a backup. I much prefer the great big iPad screen for navigation)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Didn't look at it from that direction. But you have me rethinking it. Thanks for thAt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem. It all depends on how you are going to use your iPad, and what conveniences, or lack therefor of, you value.

If someone almost never uses a computer or tablet on the go, and/or is used to the extra setup needed for a laptop, then they will probably consider the iPhone hotspot an excellent solution.

But once you have and use an iPad in it's most mobile incarnation you are spoiled forever. :)

It's like your first taste of a rich, quality, dark chocolate. Cheap milk chocolate bars loose most of their appeal. Sure, you may still eat one if that is all there is, but you'll check the entire candy section for the good stuff first.

LeCaid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you live outside cable range or no other WiFi access, the question whether to add cellular is moot. I'm on Verizon and needed to install a booster system just to be able to use a simple cellphone at home.
With my iPad Air and 6GB of data, I can use my iPad AND use the hotspot function on the Verizon iPad to go online with my PC at home. Beats dial up any day.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you live outside cable range or no other WiFi access, the question whether to add cellular is moot. I'm on Verizon and needed to install a booster system just to be able to use a simple cellphone at home.
With my iPad Air and 6GB of data, I can use my iPad AND use the hotspot function on the Verizon iPad to go online with my PC at home. Beats dial up any day.

Check with your local power company or co-op. These generally have point-to-point wi-fi to communicate with their towers. Many add subscription wireless service for rural residences. You have to have line of site with one of their towers, and they generally cost more than other forms of internet service.

If they are like my area they don't advertise much.

Blue Sky Satellite and other satellite internet providers are also a possibility.

Anyway, just some possible alternatives, in case you did not know, and aren't happy with the solution you've' got.

LeCaid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My co-op offers Satellite Internet but they're more expensive, need 2-year contracts, not much faster than my cell connection AND probably lose signal when you have thunderstorms like my satellite TV.

But thanks for pointing out alternatives. Google and others are eager to bring Internet to Africa before bringing it to rural America. Telephone service for all of America took a long time too, so there's hope left for us. In the meantime I can use FaceTime to see my family.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yep. It's generally expensive, slower than LTE and only a bit faster than a good 3G signal. I used the tower method for a few years at my previous residence. Even though they upped the speed and cut my bill at one point, they were still inferior to an LTE connection.

Ironically, since I left LTE has become available at there.

The only real downside to LTE or 3G over the slower speed satellite and tower ISPs is the data limit. If you can live within the data limit of the plan you're paying for it's all good. If you can't, then you end up playing data watching games at the end of each month.

Most reactions