WIfi or 4g version

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by I_luv_Apple, Mar 10, 2012.

1. casey3557

casey3557
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    MIFI works well for me and I use the iPhone hotspot as back-up, so I opted for the 16 GB wifi.

Our budget would not stretch enough for the 4G right now, but I hope to pick one up in a few months. I'm handing my first-gen iPad over to a family member.

2. Paul.J

Paul.J
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    If you was going to get the wifi version are you best of buying the top of the range ipad 2 instead. I'm i bit stuck on what to get my self because most places you go have wifi anyway.

3. I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Everyone posts are confusing me more lol. Surely if you have the iPhone 4s like I have and the personal hot spot facility we don't need the 4g version??? I don't use the gps thing I don't think.. I use my iPhone if lost.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    It all comes down to what you want, will use, and can afford. Don't let everyone else's use case and device lust make your choice. Just listen to their reasons (if we have any) and make your decisions on whether you think they apply to you; just like you are doing. :)

5. I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Thank you xx

6. swaggapad

swaggapad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Depends on what you need, but i have a LTE Samsung Skyrocket that i use for tethering so i didn't see a need for getting my ipad with LTE as well...if you have a mifi, hotspot or phone that is LTE i think the convenience of a 4G ipad is not worth $130 premium even if that means gps too.

I have a black 32gb wifi "new ipad" enroute and wifey has a white 16gb wifi enroute as well..

7. bzbmum

bzbmum
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I got the wifi version. I have 3g on my phone and I barely ever need to use that since I am always nearby or connected to a wifi. I just didn't see a reason to spend so much more for a 4g version. Even if I did need the 4g service while traveling, it wouldn't make sense to pay for a whole months worth of service for something I might only use for a couple hours or less. Besides, the 3g service on my phone would cover for those very few times that I might not be near a wifi.

I think that if you need to be connected to the internet 100% of the time through your iPad and are willing to pay for it, then you might opt for the 4g. But even then, you might not get service depending on location/area. For me, I don't need to be connected to the internet 100% of the time through my iPad and i'm definitely not willing to pay for it when i'm already paying for my phone and internet service on the side.

8. iluvmyipad

iluvmyipad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    While I sat in line at best buy, I kept going back and forth between wifi and 4g. My iPad 1 was 3G, I never activated the service since I had a Mifi which was unlimited. I decided to go with 4g again this time too, because I'd rather have it than wish I had it.

9. I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Snap!!!! Me too but I was queuing at the apple store London. :) I came to the same decision as you and lucky I did as my iPhone battery died at lunch time and I had no charger :)