What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi with MiFi 4G or Built-In 4G

Wait

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to decide which iPad to buy. I'm sure these questions have been asked an answered, but I tried searching yet couldn't narrow my search terms well enough to cull informed answers, so please help me with...

... two Noob questions:

Does a 4G iPad perform better than a WiFi iPad with an unshared 4G MiFi?

Related question: If you had a Verizon grandfathered unlimited 3G plan with a MiFi, would you keep it rather than "upgrade" to a data-limited 4G plan? That is,does an iPad perform significantly better in 4G than 3G? I realize the second question depends in part on several variables, but I am asking this as a general matter, aside from type of use, cost, and the amount of data used.

Thank you.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan on my 3G Mifi. I have the new 4g iPad. I decided not to upgrade to the 4g right now, because in my area, we don't have continuous 4g. Most areas are still 3G. I have turned on my 4g a few times, and yes it is faster, but my Mifi works just fine for now. I'll probably only turn on my 4g when I travel to areas that truly have 4g coverage.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I live in an area with good 4g. It is way, way faster than 3G. As long as you stay off videos and constant streaming, it is hard to use 2gb of data with just normal surfing. I don't find it hard to not stream when out and about with an iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts