What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi connected but won't connect to internet

MONGOOSE666

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Totallylagit said:
Log into the router to change settings. Typical router ip starts with 192.168.0.1. Type that in your browser and enter the login and password. There are probably lots of settings so be careful not to change too much. In there will be your channels

Yeah that's all I done I have a sky modem so I just put 192.168.0.1 login was admin password sky then go to setting and go from there

m0h1t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem with my new ipad. All i do is turn wifi off amd then on and it works fine. But it is annoying so i am giving it for repair

NielNiel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to the new iPad and this forum. In the few days I've had my iPad I've been having problems with the Wifi. In my home my laptop and other devices connect fine with the Wifi, but the iPad drops its connection every one or two minutes. So every one or two minutes I have to "renew" or "refresh" the connection. It's a real pain, but that's life. I used the iPad at my workplace with no connection issue at all--and I have a friend whose iPhone 4s also continually drops the Wifi connection in my home.

My conclusion, thus far, is that this is an iPad/iPhone issue. Either they require a much stronger signal than other devices or just don't sync well with some routers or some routers' settings. I don't buy the idea that I'm just unlucky and it's just my iPad. There are too many reports about this issue circulating on the Web. I presume the fix will be to increase my Wifi data package, replace the router or both. I can also use 3G, but the 1 GB data package I have is way to limiting.

That's just my two cents.

Is it only apple products only having dropping line problem at your place?

Edit: I came across with these problems when I'm using some public wifi, I guess it could be settings in the router causes that, and you mention at your company you have no issue at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

pegleg319

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried that & could not change channel setting. I have the older model (5 yrs+) D-Link DIR- 615 Mod ?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am a newbie to this forum, and I am also having connection problems from about 10 mtrs away from my router, I have the i pad 3 & not really impressed.

Welcome to our forums...... There are several reasons for this issue and in most cases it is not the iPad that is the problem. The following is a summary of solutions that have worked for users in our forums over the past 2 years or more.

The fact remains that many routers and especially D-Link have not been updated and can have issues with any NEW smart phone , iPad iOS device , android tab and some new gaming devices. Regardless if any other computers connect fine it is important to update your routers hardware roms if one is available. Go online to your router manufacture and look for updates for your model router.

If your router is 2 years or more old frankly just replace it with a new modem router. Life is to short and by replacing it will resolve 80% of issues that you are having. I like the 600 n series netgear and this is the one I recommend to my clients

By all means if your iPad is brand new take it to your apple store but again in most cases they will confirm it is not the iPad.

The problem with cafes and hot spots in many cases they are using old equipment so it can be hit and miss. Even corporate wifi connections can be a problem. I have. 2 iPads and multiple devices my modem router has been changed and every thing works fine. Where I work I convinced IT to update the router and bingo not only the iPad worked all the time but also other employee phones etc. suddenly connected.
Beware if you have playstations , Xbox or any streaming device like apple TV etc then make sure you again have a new quality modem router. In this case I suggest a dual channel modem similar to the Apple Airport as this works fine.

The following is just standard procedures for new users.
Regardless what any one tells you first reset your router. Turn off the modem if seperate turn off the router If on cable remove cable from the wall for 30 seconds. Reconnect start modem then router and see if problem resolved.

In the wifi preferences press renew lease button also while there put the proxy on Auto.. This may seem strange however this did resolve issues on earlier iPads. Some times in cafes I actually disconnect from the wif by turning off wifi then connect again. If you are having issues in cafes it maybe because of the load on the network from other users.

Apple did report they had wifi issues with SOME iPad 3 units however it should be pointed out this was a very small number world wide. In doing research about wifi issues in USA I found many providers supply cheap modem routers so issues seem to be greater there. Telstra in Australia on the other hand and other major internet providers use Netgear modem routers

One should note we have thousands of members in our forums and yes several have joined to let us know they have problems but again after proceeding with our recommendations most are resolved

So pegleg319 please understand you have new technology that maybe in your case is trying to connect to outdated technology so by changing your router all will be resolved.....

Cheers from down under.

PackFanJim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've discovered something very specific relative to this topic but don't know how to permanently resolve it.

I routinely connect to a specific public wifi that assigns IP addresses of 192.168.X.YYY. If the X is a 1, then I have no problems accessing the internet. If it is a 2 then I can connect to the wifi but cannot access the internet. I resolve the problem by renewing the lease until I finally get an address where the X=1.

This affects both of our iPads AND both of our iPhone 4S phones.

I doubt that I can convince anyone to change the settings on the router or upgrade the router so is there another solution?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
PackFanJim said:
I've discovered something very specific relative to this topic but don't know how to permanently resolve it.

I routinely connect to a specific public wifi that assigns IP addresses of 192.168.X.YYY. If the X is a 1, then I have no problems accessing the internet. If it is a 2 then I can connect to the wifi but cannot access the internet. I resolve the problem by renewing the lease until I finally get an address where the X=1.

This affects both of our iPads AND both of our iPhone 4S phones.

I doubt that I can convince anyone to change the settings on the router or upgrade the router so is there another solution?

Have you tried resetting your network settings? Go to Settings>General>Reset> Reset Network Settings.

zip255

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go into your router, and under encryption type on select both and turn on I think it's AEK and that will resolve your issue guaranteed, under wireless channel take it off of auto and put it on six, I ran into the same problem and did this and it absolutely fixed the issue

zip255

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That racked my brain for days but I finally figured that out I'm glad it helped you.

Most reactions

Latest posts