Wi-Fi Reception: mine is not good, how's yours?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by pcorreia, Jul 15, 2010.

1. MattIM

MattIM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    It Fixed My Problem too!

I get excellent connection every where in the house. IPad stays connected, no drops. I am a very happy user.

I am impressed with Apple's update process. It made me synch from my IPad to my laptop before it allowed me to update. Unlike upgrading from WinXP to Win7--what a nightmare that was!

2. pcorreia

pcorreia
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Found a bit more info

Apparently a few internet sites have referenced this issue. Also, I found on ifixit.com that the antenna is right behind the Apple logo on the back.

Here is what I did to fix my issue.... Turned the iPad upside down.

iPad right side up ( home button at bottom ) most sites take 30 seconds to come up if ever.

IPad upside down ( home button at top) sites come up rather snappy. Cool, but weird.

There must be some issue with polarization w the iPad antenna relative to the Wi-Fi Router antenna. Regardless it's pretty screwy to worry about how your iPad is rotated. Anyway, I experimented with multiple sites to make sure it wasn't server dependent. It isn't.

I' m going to try to reposition my router antenna tomorrow and see if that improves the situation any.

In the meantime, I'll be down side up!

3. CaptKirk

CaptKirk
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I'm using a TrendNet G router and works great for me with all devices. Almost daily me, my dog and iPad walk over to our favorite resting spot in the park across the street. This is roughly 300 feet from my upstairs router. My iPad works great every time. I've downloaded magazines and games without a hitch.

4. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Download the new ipad firmware in itunes. select your ipad and click the button to check for updates. the new firmware addresses the wifi issues.

5. antony6905

antony6905
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I had WIFI problems to and I found out one of my Apps was causing the problem.
    The App causing the problem was "The Weather Channel"
    Every time I installed the App my WIFI connection would get weak and then I was prompt with "Your not connected to the internet"? Once i uninstalled the app I had a strong signal and I wouldn't have and connections problems.
    I reloaded the App and sure enough I had connections problems again.
    My suggestion is to uninstall some of your apps one at a time and see if you wifi connection improves.. GOODLUCK

6. didisinned

didisinned
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    If update doesn't fix it, bring it to apple store for an exchange. You might have a dud :/

7. smilepak

smilepak
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Update fixed mine too. Solid now

8. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    This seems to be a really quirky app. For several days when I would tap the icon, the splash screen would come on, but after a minute or so, it would just go back to the main screen. The all of a sudden, for no good reason, it just started working again. I guess I could ask for my money back. Oh yeah, it was free!

EDIT: And back on topic, the update really helped my connection. I didn't think I had a WiFi problem before, but now I can use "N" at much faster speeds.

#18 iPadCharlie, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  9. brhon

brhon
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I have strong wifi connections. I'm on the new uverse motorola unit. I can access my wifi from the back yard, garage, and everywhere in the house.

10. muleman

muleman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Updated mine and still only get one bar in a room about 50 feet from router. But get at least 3 bars om iPhone in same spot.