What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does it backup everything, everytime!

Old Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to put a .pdf of a magazine on the iPad to read. I fire up iTunes, put the .pdf in the .pdf bit, then hit sync. Why does the bleeding thing then upload everything, and reload 108 apps (my wife, not me), therefore taking more than 2 hrs to put something new on.

I have it in manual sync, but as soon as I hit that button it reloads everything. How do I just put the .pdf on and nothing but the .pdf :thumbsdown:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Old Guy - welcome to the forum! :) Now without going into details about 'syncing' via iTunes and the problems you are having w/ uploading many unwanted apps, etc. to your device, I'll suggest one (of a number of) solutions - obtain a free Dropbox Account and put the apps on your iPad AND on your computer - then you can simply put files into the Dropbox folder from your computer and then pick them up on you iPad - a simple solution for smaller numbers of file transfers. Good luck - Dave

OP
O

Old Guy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I have no idea why my wife has 228 Apps on it and uses about 5
icon12.png

rsbell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sync shouldn't take anywhere near that long. You must be telling it to Back Up through iTunes. That's a waste of time.

Do you back up to iCloud? You should as it backs up the changes each time you plug the iPad in to charge, all wirelessly and in the background. And since it only backs up the changes, it's much faster than doing a manual back up through iTunes.

Also, When you allow iCloud to do its job, syncing is much faster because apps, music, iBooks, are synced though iCloud, and not even touched when you iTunes sync.

I still do a full manual back up through iTunes about once a month in case something happens to my iPad and I need to do a full restore of everything all at once.

Most reactions

Latest posts