What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which media player supports AC3?

• Thread starter Deleted member 247820
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 247820

I guess this has been covered in the past, but I have not discovered an answer as yet.
I have iPad Mini 2
iOS 9.1.
I downloaded and used VLC to playback VOB files on this iPad.
The video plays fine but VLC does not support AC3 audio on iOS.
So I am looking for a media player that plays VOB and supports AC3.
I could try one after the other but I'm hoping someone will already know the answer.
The app called MP looks likely, so if no one has a favorite I will try that soon.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nplayer says it does ac3, but not sure about vob. There is an nplayer forum at Home | nPlayer Forums you could try.

Edit: Just tried both an AC3 and a VOB file and both worked fine. (This was on an air 2 64GB Cellular, so may be different on a mini.)

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi N Squirrel.
Thanks for that information.
As a matter of interest how did you get the VOB file onto your iPad Air?

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DVD into PC; VOB (or separate AC3 file) file to shared folder on PC, although could have been to Dropbox, GoogleDrive, etc. Then FileBrowser app on iPad to copy from external VOB to bring on board iPad. In FileBrowser open the AC3 or VOB with nPlayer. FileBrowser has a lite version, but I forget its limitations as I went to the full version. There are other similar apps to FileBrowser, but I find it really useful to move files around locally on the iPad and between the iPad and external devices, e.g. USB devices.

One aspect I forgot about yesterday was audio/ video synchronisation. I am pretty sure that nPlayer allows synch adjustment, but I keep losing where it is hidden. I'll look into it and get back to you.

Also I would suggest a PM to Bell Diver as he had synch problems on an iPad mini; he was also looking at file conversion to get videos to play on the mini.

I hope this helps.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi N Squirrel.

Thanks for going to so much trouble.
So if I follow you properly, it sounds like you put the VOB file into Dropbox (for example), I guess you could then see the file in Dropbox in the iPad.
Then you somehow got it into File Browser.
Then it opened in NPLayer.
Is that correct?

So far I have not PMed anyone yet!
Maybe you could pass this on to Bell Driver!

As far as file converting from VOB to mp4 to play on iPad
I use (on PC) Nero Recode, it does a great job with no sync problems, and has enough settings to suit different outcomes/quality.

That conversion is the step I was hoping to bypass by getting the VOB to play on the iPad.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ye, correct. In FileBrowser you access Dropbox and you will see the AC3 or vob listed. Then just copy across to the iPad in FileBrowser, which is quite straight forward. With vob (or the AC3) in FileBroswer, select it and go to open in... And select your video viewer, e.g nplayer.

Still not certain about sync, so have posted question on their forum. VLC. Does sync, but I don't think AC3 now works with it. Worth a try though (free!)

I will PM Bell Diver and pass on your name, so he may get back to you.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wrt sync, nPlayer came back with:-
  1. Open media file
  2. Make sure use Hardware or Software decoder.
  3. You can see so settings button is under the A/B repeat button. Tap.
  4. Then comes playback menu.
  5. Audio -> Delay - +

Bell diver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi yes I had dramas playing mkv files on my ipad mini.

Used every player known to man, AVHD, Nplayer, VLC, buzz player ect. The sound never married up and sometimes the image was pixelated.

Then I tried all the free converters and mkv converted to mp4 still wouldnt play.

In the end I had a free trial of MacX Video convertor pro. I converted an MKV and it played perfect. So then I paid for the full version and Havent looked back. Understand Im a computer spastic so needed something very simple that just worked. Its annoying MKV's wont play straight off the batt and amazing they do on some friends ipad mini but not mine?? Wonders of modern technology. Not sure if this will even work with your files but its free to try??

There probably is other convertors that work well and may well be cheaper or do more, but I spent a lot of time looking and was getting annoyed, downloading a convertor only to find it didnt work. Then was concerned with spyware etc perhaps being left behind??

Hope you get it sorted.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure what the disagree was related to in the post above of mine, but may be related to AC3 and VLC. As I understood, older versions of vlc for ios worked with AC3, but not more recent; something to do with licensing and open source software or file format. This may have been resolved; perhaps the only way is to try it.

Edit: disagreement was an error (and kindly removed), so hopefully my comment stands.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Nsquirell.

Lots there for me to try, so thanks.
The new versions of VLC do not comply with Dolby license agreement so that is why AC3 is not included in VLC.

My next step is to install File Browser.
In Dropbox my VOB file appears and will play in the "streaming" mode, but refuses to download onto the iPad.
I don't understand how it can play when there is no compatible player on the iPad?

I will keep in mind the nplayer and sync instructions, thanks for finding that out.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Bell Diver.

Well done finding the best video file converter for MKV files.
So far I have not had the problem associated with those files.

I presume the MacX Video Converter is just for Apple macs?
Did you do the conversions on the Mac then put them into

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Nsquirell.

I have installed the Lite version of File Browser.
It is breath taking in what it seems to be able to do.

However it (the lite version) is constantly interrupting with adds for itself, very off putting.
So I managed to get it connected to Dropbox and download (long process) the VOB file.
However it would not "open in" the player I have that is supposed to play VOB files.
I am reluctant to buy the pro version as perhaps things will still be the same.

My conclusion is that it is far quicker to use my PC to convert the VOB file to mp4 and then play it on the iPad.

Anyway thanks for your big input, and now I will spend leisure time unravelling File Browser!

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Briefly: to play the vob files you need a vob-compatible player installed on the ipad. In FileBrowser you 'open in...' the player app, e.g. Nplayer, etc.

Adverts in apps is a pain, but designed to be for obvious reasons...

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A point on FileBrowser: there is a bug in the popup menus in that the menu options are very light, except for delete, which makes them look as if they are greyed out and hence not available. The app author says he will correct this soon.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Nsquirrel.

Point noted about the options appearing greyed out, thanks.

True about having a suitable VOB playing app.
I have one called PlayerXtreme Media Player, in it's specs it lists VOB files.
Strangly Nplayer specs does not list VOB files, but in fact as you say does play them!
VLC is the only option I get in the "open in" view. It plays video but no audio because of the Dolby thing.

Most reactions

Latest posts