What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Ipad for a 10-year old? Second or third Gen.?

Trish1964

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new posting here, hoping for some advice. I am getting my daughter, who will be almost 10, an ipad for Christmas but I don't know which one to get. I have decided on a 32 but am trying to decide between a 2 and a 3. I am trying to cut down on the cost, but don't want to get something that will be obsolete in a year or two or something with limited features. I am willing to pay more if it means it will last her longer and I don't want to get something that will have limited features for current apps. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it were me I'd go for a Mini, they are great value, if you go to the Apple online store you can get a great refurb bargain.....in fact I'm typing this on my refurb 32GB mini. I also have an iPad 1 and 2 but my Mini is my go to iPad.

The Archangel

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am new posting here, hoping for some advice. I am getting my daughter, who will be almost 10, an ipad for Christmas but I don't know which one to get. I have decided on a 32 but am trying to decide between a 2 and a 3. I am trying to cut down on the cost, but don't want to get something that will be obsolete in a year or two or something with limited features. I am willing to pay more if it means it will last her longer and I don't want to get something that will have limited features for current apps. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
The iPad 2 is currently offered only with a 16GB storage capacity. The iPad 3 was discontinued almost a year ago. You'll have a tough time finding a new one. You could check the refurbished section at an Apple store. The iPad 3 will likely continue to receive iOS updated for a longer time than the iPad 2. The iPad 3 also has 1GB of RAM, whereas the iPad 2 only has 500 MB.
The screen of the iPad 3 has 4 times the resolution of the iPad 2 screen.
Have you considered the iPad 4 or the new iPad 5 which will be coming out this fall.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I second the mini! I've had both a 2 and a 4, both have been handed over to my parents in favor of the mini.

1+ for the Mini - already several recommendations - I like reading on my iPad 2 vs. wife's Mini, especially my magazine subscriptions - BUT, more importantly the smaller size will suit her hands much better and possibly lessen the chance of dropping the device - good luck on your choice! Dave :)

OP
T

Trish1964

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Thanks for the replies. I am so clueless, I thought the 3 was the newest! I guess I should just say I am considering the newest or the previous one. Both are available on Amazon. I don't want to go with the mini because the price is not low enough. If I am already spending hundreds, I might as well get the regular Ipad for just a little more. She already has an Ipod anyway. She wants a full-sized ipad. I think that after talking to some people I know who have them, I am going to go with the newest that is out now. Maybe after the new release this fall, the price of the current Ipad will drop a little.

Most reactions

Latest posts