What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When to put videos in the area of Videos and when in Photos?

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since both areas can play videos, is there any difference whether we place the videos in Videos or in Photos?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
healer said:
Since both areas can play videos, is there any difference whether we place the videos in Videos or in Photos?

Videos you record with the iPad camera will be in the camera roll, and imported videos should normally be in the video app.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks!
Mine is the first generation iPad which doesn't have a camera. There are two apps, Videos and Photos where I can put video files. So is there any advantage and disadvantage of having video files in one and not the other?

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
healer said:
Thanks!
Mine is the first generation iPad which doesn't have a camera. There are two apps, Videos and Photos where I can put video files. So is there any advantage and disadvantage of having video files in one and not the other?

Put them from where? PC? As scifan said, anything you take with the camera appears in camera roll (photos), since you don't have a camera every video you import on the iPad will be in the video app. As far as I know, you don't have a choice; but I don't know if I am correct though.

In case I am wrong, there isn't much difference as far as playing the videos from either app. But I think you can edit the videos in the photo app (such as trimming and whatnot) but not in the video app

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think he means importing video via iTunes. There is an option on the Photo tab to include videos. This is handy when importing videos for editing on iMovie, etc. you can bring them in as a album.

DocPhyz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, Dropbox provides an Open In ... option for the Camera Roll, but not to Videos. If you are using that type of import.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I have transferred some videos taken by another iPad. I suppose it is not iPad1. They were in .MOV format together with photos in the same folder. I dragged them out of one iPad with Windows Explorer. However I had to use iTunes to sync them into my iPad1.

When I had some videos from YOUTUBE, I synched them into Videos. I didn't know which is which. I just did them willy-nilly.

I've just looked at the options available with videos in Photos. There is no edit options at all.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
healer said:
When I had some videos from YOUTUBE, I synched them into Videos. I didn't know which is which. I just did them willy-nilly.

I've just looked at the options available with videos in Photos. There is no edit options at all.

What do you mean by edit options? If you man to edit the video, you need a video editing app.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
healer said:
Thanks guys!

I have transferred some videos taken by another iPad. I suppose it is not iPad1. They were in .MOV format together with photos in the same folder. I dragged them out of one iPad with Windows Explorer. However I had to use iTunes to sync them into my iPad1.

Ok my fault, this must only be for videos taken with an iPad camera.

Most reactions

Latest posts