What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your feeling on the Smart Cover, like it or not???

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richrocks said:
I have also purchased a TPU case that's compatible with the Smart Cover. Thanks for the links guys. Without it, I wouldn't have found it. What a great solution. I hope! Has anybody received theirs yet?

I think it will look better. With the black Smart Cover but I have the blue one. booooooooo!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I got mine yesterday. Pretty nice BUT...the bottom lip that goes over the bottom edge of the iPad is loosely fitting. Barely catches the bottom edge of the iPad...worst under the Home button. All the corners and other sides are fine. Good material. Not bad looking. Works well with the Smart Cover. But...that bottom edge...I have to keep pushing it back onto the iPad. I wrote the seller. He acknowledges the problem and has seen it on his own iPad but he also attributes it to how you hold it. Says the lip going over the bezel can't be any different otherwise the Smart Cover won't lay flat. I dunno...I like the case but I'm also thinking of returning it and spending the money on a Marware...but they're taking forever to release.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Last edited:

richrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the review Michael. Any chance of a snap? I'll await mine and take it from there.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richrocks said:
Thanks for the review Michael. Any chance of a snap? I'll await mine and take it from there.

A snap? Not sure what you mean by that. If you're asking if it'll break, I wouldn't think so. It's just that the bottom lip of the case is so easy to push off the iPad and you have to push it back on. I mean it just BARELY grasps the leading edge of the bottom on the device. The cut-out for the bottom of the Home button is easily 1/4" or more away from the bottom of the Home button opening. It just depends on how much you want to deal with the bottom lip of the case coming off and having to push it back into place. Other than that it's a decent case for the price. Normally, I don't look for tiny flaws or perfection. If something is CLEARLY an issue (I handed my iPad over to a friend, didn't say anything to him about the cover and he made the same remarks about it), then I start re-thinking it. It's not a quality control issue. I think it's just a design issue.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

richrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haha sorry Michael, it was my Brtitish English. By snap, I meant photo.

By all accounts, if your friend noticed too, there is a definite issue there. That's a shame. Maybe I have to class the lovely aluminium reverse as the iPad case!

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richrocks said:
Haha sorry Michael, it was my Brtitish English. By snap, I meant photo.

By all accounts, if your friend noticed too, there is a definite issue there. That's a shame. Maybe I have to class the lovely aluminium reverse as the iPad case!

No worries. Actually, stupid me didn't catch on until after I'd posted my reply. I've a wee bit of Scot in me and several friends in the U.K.

Yeah let me take a snap and show you folks what I'm experiencing. Maybe I'm just over-reacting....

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, here we go...some photos as promised. First, the cover itself, front and back. You can see, it really does look pretty decent. Has a little bit of grip to it which is nice. The next photo shows the bottom lip fully on the iPad bottom edge. The following two are of the lip off of the iPad. It doesn't take much for it to come off. Take a look at the cut-out for the Home button...it's nowhere hear the Home button opening. I have an anti-glare screen protector in place, which is evidenced by the first line under the Home button. The second line happens to be where the bezel meets the body of the iPad. Let me know if you need better pics.

Attachments

• image-2231115615.png
    image-2231115615.png
    558.4 KB · Views: 170
  • image-1750538303.png
    image-1750538303.png
    618.4 KB · Views: 171
  • image-4089925696.png
    image-4089925696.png
    529.8 KB · Views: 195
  • image-1120828932.png
    image-1120828932.png
    612.6 KB · Views: 162
  • image-1162285118.png
    image-1162285118.png
    566.2 KB · Views: 184
  • image-2119139014.png
    image-2119139014.png
    628.6 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

JaiDineshable

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To guys who purchased the TPU case, does the smart cover fold neatly at the back too when you want to just use the ipad without the stand?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
JaiDineshable said:
To guys who purchased the TPU case, does the smart cover fold neatly at the back too when you want to just use the ipad without the stand?

The smart cover does fold neatly (if you do it the way Apple suggests-fold it in half, velour side-in to itself, then flip it around the back, which makes it easy to hold and manage. The only hitch is that tiny bit of magnetism that holds the folded cover to the back of the iPad is lost. It will also, even when not folded, flip out all the way across the back of the iPad and lay flat. This case is thin and doesn't seem to interfere with the Smart Cover.

Thehamguy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the green cover for the same reason as an earlier poster--it's easy to find in a stack of things. Unfortunately, that stack is often a stack of newspapers, and some of the ink has rubbed off on the cover over time. I'm wondering what's best to use to clean it; plain water won't do it and I don't want to damage it by using the wrong chemicals. I admit I haven't tried plain old soap and water (yet)...

kentsaint

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used a wet clean rag and it worked well,however, in the case of a stain I don't know what to use

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

briankeith513

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, haha, i use the grey when I leave home so as not to attract thieves and I use the green at home so I can easily find the damn thing. I tend to leave it in the weirdest of places.

Lol, so thieves look at the grey smart cover and say, "naw I don't want his iPad 2 because his smart cover is gray.....man I wish he had better taste and had the green smart cover?" lmao

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

richrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Michael
Thanks so much for taking the time to post the photos. Have to say, it looks a very smart case. I am looking forward to receiving mine. Even tho there is a design issue with it. I can only assume mine will be exactly the same!

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
richrocks said:
Michael
Thanks so much for taking the time to post the photos. Have to say, it looks a very smart case. I am looking forward to receiving mine. Even tho there is a design issue with it. I can only assume mine will be exactly the same!

You're very welcome. I still have mine and am still using it. Trying hard to deal wit the little bit on the bottom edge. I may end up keeping it but first I want to try out one or two others. Well, one anyway...the Marware Microshell is the one I've been interested in the most but it seems like it's taking them forever to even release their product, let alone ship it. The other...I can't remember right off hand its name, is supposedly a snap-on shell back that grips right at where the bezel meets the body on the iPad and has a bit of a grip texture to it as well. But...it's easily TWICE as much in cost, not counting shipping, I believe. I think this one is pretty decent for the value, if you won't mind the bit of concern I mentioned earlier. I think you'll like it. Let me know when you get yours and what you think of it.

Most reactions

Latest posts