What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the......? Uploaded photo size?

Wethereyet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, and the IPAD 4. I recently tried to upload 5900 photos, all really small, with a total size of 1.05 GB, onto my IP 4 though Itunes. By the time they uploaded, they occupied 10.33 GB of storage space. As a result, my 16GB IPAD is almost full. Can this be right, or am I doing something terribly wrong?

HardMetalAlchemy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
5900 photos is A LOT of memory. Sometimes iTunes won't show the proper amount of memory being transferred.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum, and the IPAD 4. I recently tried to upload 5900 photos, all really small, with a total size of 1.05 GB, onto my IP 4 though Itunes. By the time they uploaded, they occupied 10.33 GB of storage space. As a result, my 16GB IPAD is almost full. Can this be right, or am I doing something terribly wrong?

Hi Wethereyet - first, I'm assuming that these photos reside on your computer and you are using iTunes to upload to the iPad? If not, please provide more details. A rough calculation gives me an average image size of only 178 KB, which indeed is a well compressed JPEG image (again assuming you are uploading this type of compressed file). So, I'm also baffled about the 10+ GB; if you have a photo app that provides the images' metadata (such as iPhoto or Photogene), then you can at least compare some of these photos in both locations; my other comment would be whether these are uploading to the iPad in their original 'larger size' and/or being duplicated in some fashion (either in the same app or multiple apps).

Second, the iPad really is not a good repository for this many photos - the memory is obviously not there (of course, if you also want music, movies, etc.) and the apps are mediocre at best and lacking many features that make a computer a much better choice for photo storage and editing. Finally, you might want to get the photos (or many of them) off the iPad and then do a 'Reset' just to make sure there is not a 'memory usage' error. Good luck and let us know what happens - Dave :)

McCannon01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this doesn't help you but I recently synced music from my iMac to my iPhone 5 and iPad 4 and it took 1.8 GB on the phone and 3.1 GB on the iPad for the exact same list. No luck yet in finding out why. Seeing your message makes me wonder if the iPad has an undocumented compression/storage issue.

Most reactions

Latest posts