What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What make/type of mobile phone to connect my Ipad to the internet

PCUK

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Following my previous thread about my non 3G mobile (cell) and non 3G Ipad, there were some comments about the type of phone I use and that (as I understood it) some types can be used to connect the Ipad to the net. If so what recommendations for makes and type do members have. (Must be simple to set-up and not cost a fortune!!!)
Thanks,
Peter

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A windows mobile based phone, an android phone, or palm pre.

You could always craigslist or ebay one for cheaper. If you craigslist be sure to meet the seller at your carriers store to activate phone in their presence so they can't sell then quickly report stolen

OP
P

PCUK

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for that. How easy is it to connect the Ipad through one of these phones and what is involved?
Cheers,
Peter

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that. How easy is it to connect the Ipad through one of these phones and what is involved?
Cheers,
Peter

Its actually pretty easy. The main thing is, no matter which phone u get, make sure it has a tethering app. Preferably, a wifi one for fastest speeds. If i were u, id go with an Android phone. Most have tethering apps built in. If not then u can get from marketplace. U might have to root it though. Root=jailbrake for android. Theres different types of tethering. U can tether thru bluetooth but slower speeds. Wifi tethering is the best. Its what i use. If u have, or get, a windows mobile phone, u can find tethering apps for those. I have a HTC Tilt2, which is a win mo phone ver. 6.5.1. I use the xda wireless wifi tethering app. It wrks perfectly. Now i just start the app on my phone and ipad almost instantly connects, everytime. There are different types of wifi tether. The one im using is AD-Hoc connection. That means computer to computer only. So once im connected, nuthin else can connect to the network. The better type, in my opinion, is the Infrastructure tether. Thats like the ones u see on t.v. Advertising the phone as wifi hotspot. With infrasture, u can connect multiple devices to the internet at once.
Getting it connected is pretty simple thru tether. It gets more complex when u wanna use high end security keys n such. Hope that gives u insight.
Hold on, didnt u say u have an iphone. U could tether with thst if it has service on it. Lol

OP
P

PCUK

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you very much, that pretty well gives me chapter and verse. I don't have an Iphone so will look for an Android to replace my good old Nokia.
Thanks again,
Peter

OP
P

PCUK

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bought the phone off Ebay this afternoon. Unlocked, routed and with tethering app' up and running.
Thanks for all the info'. This place has to be the best resource for Ipad newbies like me

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone have advice for tethering an iPhone to iPad on O2 in the UK?

RCLafnjack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be getting a Ipad2 next month. I also have a Android phone (SamSung Captivate) and am an at*t customer. My cappy has the att hotspots as part of the plan.

My Question is.
I want to be able to connect my phone to the att wifi hotspot and then tether the IPAD2 to the phone and use the internet from the ATT Hotspot basically using my existing phone plan.

Is this even possible or is it all designed to tether as 3g. only. Or
Can I share at shared wifi signal...LOL

"Hey Rocky? Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat"

Reaction score
I will be getting a Ipad2 next month. I also have a Android phone (SamSung Captivate) and am an at*t customer. My cappy has the att hotspots as part of the plan.

My Question is.
I want to be able to connect my phone to the att wifi hotspot and then tether the IPAD2 to the phone and use the internet from the ATT Hotspot basically using my existing phone plan.

Is this even possible or is it all designed to tether as 3g. only. Or
Can I share at shared wifi signal...LOL

"Hey Rocky? Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat"

What hotspot does is takes the incoming 3g signal to your phone and turns it into outgoing wifi signal from your phone to your Ipad or other wifi capable devices.
Whatever the incoming speed is will be the outgoing speed . It is a battery hog on the phone though and watch your data usage unless you are on an old unlimited plan.
It's easy to set up and use.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Last edited:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Any iPad can connect to any Wifi access point, so any phone that can create a personal hot spot using it's network connection will work.

The iPad doesn't have a preference.

-t

RCLafnjack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
<<What hotspot does is takes the incoming 3g signal to your phone and turns it into outgoing wifi signal from your phone to your Ipad or other wifi>>

Let me re-explain my delima with an example

I'm on a trip and I stop at a McDonnalds that has att wifi..
My phone can connect to it fine because it has att service. The Tablet is wifi only and doesn't have a "att service". I'd like to connect the phone to the McD's/ATT wifi and then tether the internet from the phone to the tablet...

Is this even possible?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wifi is NOT tied to a phone company carrier.

Wifi at McDonalds is paid for by McDonalds and is free to you. Just connect and use it n

3G and Edge networks are phone company subscription networks. Wifi are not.

There are some paid Wifi hotspots and you can use something like Boingo to pay for a connection when a free public Wifi s not available.

-t

Reaction score
<<What hotspot does is takes the incoming 3g signal to your phone and turns it into outgoing wifi signal from your phone to your Ipad or other wifi>>

Let me re-explain my delima with an example

I'm on a trip and I stop at a McDonnalds that has att wifi..
My phone can connect to it fine because it has att service. The Tablet is wifi only and doesn't have a "att service". I'd like to connect the phone to the McD's/ATT wifi and then tether the internet from the phone to the tablet...

Is this even possible?

Your Ipad can connect to any wifi, regardless of who is providing it. At some places, such as Mcdonalds, you have to accept their terms of service first. How you do that is connect to their wifi with your Ipad, (chime back in if you need help with that), open your browser in your Ipad, which will take you to their acceptance page, accept the terms , you're done and can enjoy their free wifi.
The only time you'll need hotspot is if there is no wifi signal, like when in the boonies or traveling in your automobile.
Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Most reactions

Latest posts