1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

What is other?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by STeBoS, Mar 2, 2012.

1. STeBoS

STeBoS iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The data bar when syncing has a yellow section called "other" and I can't figure this out. I thought it was stuff like browser history,cookies,app data,etc. But after deleting these things the amount of other stayed the same. Did a restore and this brought the amount way down but there it is again. Does any one know what "other" is and how to keep it in check?

Sent from Latveria
  2. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767 / 0
    It appears to be cached data, plus anything else that doesn't fit into any other category.

Example, if you have a news app; BBC, CNN, CNET etc, every time it updates, it stores existing data. It appears that the only way to release the space is to uninstall and reinstall the app that is using the space.
  3. STeBoS

STeBoS iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    That makes sense. I have a few news apps that update multiple times a day. The other got as big as 2.5 gigs! This was driving me nuts! Many thanks!

Sent from Latveria
  4. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767 / 0
    No problem. Thanks for the feedback.