What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what exactly is a 'web app'

Sjwred

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An app that takes you directly to a web page and then have choice of opening in safari (I think )

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is a website that uses several protocols like HTML5, CSS, and Javascript to run just like, or very like, an app on your iPad. Some of the more advanced ones can even catch themselves in the browser so that they will run later off line.

In short, you don't download a web app from the App Store. Instead you visit a page on the internet and run it from there.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Web apps started with the original iPhone. Indeed they were THE only officially available "apps" for the first year of iOS's existence (unless you jailbroke). Indeed Apple's original stance was that that was all we needed. Then a year later, out came the App store. :)

Web apps have still hung around though, and are still here today. In fact many iPhone-formatted versions of Websites could be termed "web apps."

Indeed they are actually more like apps today than they were in 2007: they can hide the usual Safari elements so they look and act very much like a native app.

See here for an example of many Web apps... in fact this can be considered a Web app "store" (think almost all are free):

OpenAppMkt

(Indeed I overused the word "indeed" ;).)

Michael

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
can you give a few well known examples of web apps then? i'm still in the dark a bit

Don't use any myself. I've seen a few mentioned on review sites, but they didn't interest me, so about all I remember is that I've seen them. I did look into HTML5 games sites once. Those are web apps. Do a search for 'mobile HTML5 games'. That should turn something up.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Thanks. I didn't know about that site. I'll have to explore it a bit.

I've still got some web apps on my old iPhone and I'm pretty sure they all still work!

The Archangel

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
amazon/kindle has one in beta with most assuming it was how they were going to bypass the app store subecription costs. If you go here you'll be able to try itand read more about it.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000579091[/ame]

Diane

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just gone to OpenAppMkt for the first time on my iPad... and it has been ages since I was there on my iPhone too.

All I can say is... wow! Some of those apps are in fact quite good. I was just playing around with a sketch app, harmonious, which felt every bit as responsive and functional as a native app downloaded through the app store. And very much iPad friendly.

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts