What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does everyone use to clean their ipads screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lphong1148

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just pull the sleeve of my sweatshirt over my hand & clean my screen anytime!!! LOL

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ohhh it shows 8 million finger prints instead of 7 million... yes it's a tragedy......... my iPad was a fingerprint magnet the day I got it and it still is.... ill keep using glass cleaners to clean glass easily... go ahead and scrub yours with a micro fiber... your energy wasted not mine. (I've been cleaning touch screens displays this way for years.... don't tell me I'm wrong)

Tapatalk'd iP5
I had an iPad 1 for two and a half years. I just breathed on it and wiped gently with a microfibre cloth, not so much to clean it but to preserve the life of my styluses. The screen was as pristine as day 1 when I gave that iPad to a friend last week.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mopar glass cleaner..... spray on.... wipe off. hasn't damaged the screen yet

Tapatalk'd iP5

Just my own thinking, but I would be wary of what is basically a window and glass cleaner, good as that product may be for that. Your iPad has an oleophobic micro coating designed as an oil repelling anti-smudge coating. I would not risk harming that. To me it would be like removing finger smudges only to reduce the anti-smudges capability. I prefer to use an optician's normal microfibres cloth. Just MHO.

Reaction score
I know you can't use liquids so what works well?

I prefer using a stylus. But unfortunately I very often forget where I put it down after last using it. When I'm in a hurry (read lazy) I don't go looking for it and just use my fingers, until I remember (usually too late) that I put the stylus in my breast pocket or behind an ear.

IMHO, to thoroughly and safely clean the screen, any microfiber will do.

So I use my exhaled breath (which is distilled water) to very slightly dampen the screen and wipe it with the same kind of microfiber cloth that I use to wash the dishes (living alone I have no use for a dishwasher, not that I would recommend using that).

For very sticky and/or stubborn smudges (when the dog sniffed it or I sneezed into my coffee or something like that) I simply wet a fingertip with some saliva (a powerful enzymatic solvent, that), rub the spot and then remove the smeared out smudge with breath and the cloth.

Finally if you want to be absolutely sure and safe, use distilled water (your breath), if needed, and Kodak Lens Cleaning Tissue (a new dustfree sheet at each cleaning session), which is guaranteed harmless to multicoated glass.

Last edited:

ShortBus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just my own thinking, but I would be wary of what is basically a window and glass cleaner, good as that product may be for that. Your iPad has an oleophobic micro coating designed as an oil repelling anti-smudge coating. I would not risk harming that. To me it would be like removing finger smudges only to reduce the anti-smudges capability. I prefer to use an optician's normal microfibres cloth. Just MHO.

Read my second post... The so called anti finger print coating is worthless. My iPad attracted fingerprints from day one. Just as much as my galaxy tab that has been cleaned with glass cleaner on a regular basis... And I bought my iPad brand new sealed from bestbuy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Read my second post... The so called anti finger print coating is worthless. My iPad attracted fingerprints from day one. Just as much as my galaxy tab that has been cleaned with glass cleaner on a regular basis... And I bought my iPad brand new sealed from bestbuy.

Well I guess we won't know today. The results will only be seen in the future after you've done your window/glass cleaner "spraying" and I've done my microfibre cloth "scrubbing". Good luck to both of us

ShortBus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I guess we won't know today. The results will only be seen in the future after you've done your window/glass cleaner "spraying" and I've done my microfibre cloth "scrubbing". Good luck to both of us

Im sure in a year time when the ipad5 or 6 comes out mine will attract just as many finger prints as yours and I would have worked less hard removing them lol

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last time a thread like this came up I got chastised for using water and a 5-10% alcohol mixture sprayed sparingly on a microfiber cloth.
Like "Shortbus" I find my method to work awesome and makes the cleaning of the screen a breeze.
A dry cloth doesn't cut it and you need to scrub much harder to do anything. A quick wipe with my method and it's spotless....looking as good as new! :thumbs:

Using a dry towel on a screen full of finger oils, dust, grit or whatever else life throws at us, is not a good thing IMHO. Dry cloth with a dirty screen means scratches...
How many of you use a dry towel to wash your car? LOL.

You skeptics can continue your way and the rest of us can continue to enjoy effortless crystal clear screens................"damage" our screens, thats a good one. :D
6 Months with my method and it shows no more finger prints than when new......2 years on a prior tablet and no ill effects.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use microfiber cloths. I might add a wee bit of moisture, if something other than finger print is on the screen.

After using many different microfiber cloths on all of my devices with touch screens, I have finally decided that these work the best and are the best value (for me):

Amazon.com: CleanDr 60601 00 Microfiber Cleaning Cloth: Electronics

I keep one at my desk at work, one near my desk at home, one on my couch, one in my car, one is my briefcase, one in my travel luggage, and one near my bed.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

The oleophobic coating on the iPad screen doesn't stop fingerprints from appearing on your screen, it makes them easier to remove.

OP
T

TitusD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2 tesco microfibres cleaning cloths bought. Many thanks for all the opinions!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions