What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'iBooks' started by Snowmaven, Jan 7, 2011.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I purchased this copy in the dealers room at the World Science Fiction Convention. Among other sellers it has the largest concentration of science fiction book dealers you'll ever find in one place. Many sell classics and rare editions, including manuscripts, proofs, and advance reading copies. The convention is also the best place to meet your favourite authors. For example, I've met Sharon Lee and Steve Miller several times as well as Robert Silverberg who autographed the proof copy of Lord Valentine's Castle for me.

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I'd love to go to a science fiction convention, but my budget doesn't allow for both buying lots of books and going to conventions. :)

Still, one day I'll probably make it happen, at least once.

3. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to keep an eye out to see when the next one is in the Pacific North-West.

4. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Mick Herron

I came across the books of Mick Herron recently, particularly the Slough House series.

For anyone who followed the UK TV series Spooks, about MI5 and 6, the books cover a group of spies who failed or offended in one way or another at the head office (not the Spooks Grid, but similar) and were sent to work at Slough House, a building in London, on menial, boring jobs with the hope that they will give up and resign, hence saving the complex and costly process of firing them. Their boss, who knows where some 'bodies' are 'buried' is a pretty obnoxious character, (Again UK TV, but if you know Dalziel and Pascoe, then the late Warren Clarke would have made an excellent choice for Jackson Lamb, the boss, to my mind. Great actor; missed.)

There are four books so far and one in the pipeline for 2017: Slow Horses (a play on the words Slough House), Dead Lions, Real Tigers and The List (a short story)

Slow Horses appeared in the Daily Telegraph’s list of “the twenty greatest spy novels of all time”.

Mick Herron has won and/ or has been nominated for several prizes for the series. Great writing and great fun: had me laughing a lot

5. gamergirl999

gamergirl999
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    IT - Stephen King
    A true cult classic, if ever there was one.

6. Scottysize

Scottysize
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Rogue One a Star Wars Story. Hoping to finish next week, then go see the movie, then get back to reading the Sith Lords.

7. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    A funny short-story collection: The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories, written by Terry Pratchett

8. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Gene Mapper, a book written by Taiyo Fujii.

9. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Stardust, written by Neil Gaiman.

10. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    The Life of the Bee by Maurice Maeterlinck (written in 1901)
    from Amazon
    'In an exuberantly poetic work that is less about bees and more about life, Maurice Maeterlinck expresses his philosophy of the human condition. The renowned Belgian poet and dramatist offers brilliant proof in this, his most popular work, that "no living creature, not even man, has achieved in the center of his sphere, what the bee has achieved." From their amazingly intricate feats of architecture to their intrinsic sense of self-sacrifice, Maeterlinck takes a "bee's-eye view" of the most orderly society on Earth.
    An enthusiastic and expert beekeeper, Maeterlinck did not intend to write a scientific treatise, even though he details such topics as the mathematically accurate construction of the hive, the division of labor among community members, the life of the young queen and her miraculous nuptial flight, and the movement and meaning of the swarm.
    An enchanting classic by one of the most important figures of world literature in the twentieth century and winner of the 1911 Nobel Prize in Literature, this fascinating study is a magnificent tribute to one of the most orderly communities in the world. It is also filled with humble lessons for the human race.'