What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the special feature of iPad 3

Reaction score
I want you to please share your information with me for this question that, "What are the special feature,(particularly 2 or 3)" which makes it different from old one?

Thank you

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What makes the 3 different from the 2?

-The iSight back camera provides for much better quality photos, and 1080p video recording capabilities.
-The retina display is a revolutionary HD screen, squeezing in more pixels than a full 1080p HDTV. When placed next to an older iPad, you can see the difference, but over time, you get used to it, and appreciate the screen less and less.
-The dictation feature, the speech to text feature built in to the keyboard, which is speculated to get Siri support with ios6, which the iPad 2 might not get. I never really got why this is, not sure if apple put in some new hardware or if it's just a way to try and get people to upgrade devices.
-The A5X chip provides quad core graphics, better than the iPad 2.
-The cellular model of the new iPad has 4G capability.

But actually I think that's about it. The negatives are:

-it's thicker and heavier
-takes twice as long to fully charge
-it may get a little hot in the back after heavy gaming, but it's nothing to worry about

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I disagree that you appreciate the screen less and less. I would say it is exactly the opposite, if you use your iPad to read a lot. Looking at any non-retina display screen becomes difficult. Much less eye strain over time.

The weight of the new iPad is such that you could not guess which is which just by holding the two of them. And the thickness is hard to detect too.

The back will get warm to the touch, but not hot.

The new LTE iPad, on Verizon, also gives the ability to serve as a hotspot, so if you get cellular service then you can let your other devices use it to connect to the internet.

The dictation feature is a real plus, regardless of when or if Siri come to iPad.

Game play on the new iPad can take advantage of the high resolution screen. This can be a big plus. Of course, the size of the apps tends to grow, so it may be wise to get either the 32 or 64GB model, if possible.

In my experience it doesn't take twice as long to charge, but it does take significantly longer. The capacity of the battery in the new iPad is 70% greater than that in the iPad 2. I deal with this by keep the charge on mine topped off whenever I can.

City

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, as the posts above there are lots of similarities and differences. But, each iOS update you update it to, makes it more modern, therefore they can be very similar, if not same with content.

Now, the recent 2, and 3 iPads do get a little warm, but that will take a couple hours of nonstop playing of the iPad.
Overall, if you plan to buy a new iPad soon, I recommend the iPad2.

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound like a muscle head, but I can do 100 push-ups (not in my life-time) and I consider that a pretty good benchmark for strength.
And even though the iPad 2 may seem like light, I get shoulder ache when I hold it in one hand for too long.
The fact that iPad 3 is heavier is not really good for lengthy reading in my opinion.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't mean to sound like a muscle head, but I can do 100 push-ups (not in my life-time) and I consider that a pretty good benchmark for strength.
And even though the iPad 2 may seem like light, I get shoulder ache when I hold it in one hand for too long.
The fact that iPad 3 is heavier is not really good for lengthy reading in my opinion.

Geez...it is only an oz or so heavier..and the screen is much better, meaning that eye strain is less of an issue. And it is not has if you have to hold the thing all day...that's why they make cases with built-in stands.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions