What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What am I doing wrong?

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackburn in NW of . . . . . . . . . . . . Engl
Hi guys,
I recently bought an iPad 2 and then I bought a separate gizmo for it on eBay. This gizmo was "Used" and came just well wrapped in bubble-wrap but with none of the original packaging or instructions. It is meant to make it possible to view the contents of a camera's internal memory or even content of the memory card via the camera's usb cable. The gizmo is also supposed to allow you to stick an SD card in it and view photos or video direct from the gizmo.
My problem is that when I stick the gizmo into the socket on my iPad, I get a message on-screen saying that the iPad 2 does not have the ability to use this device (or words to that effect) ..... I'd tell you the exact wording but my sister came on Tuesday and talked me into letting her borrow the iPad while she headed off on a week's holiday to the north of Scotland in a tent.
So, a few questions really. Did I buy a duff gizmo or is there something that I need to do to "Pair" the iPad and the gizmo?
Cheers for any help but there's no big rush.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to one and all.
Steve

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It may help if you can tell us exactly what the gizmo is, from the description, it sounds like the Apple Camera Connection Kit?

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If it's a single gizmo, it's probably one of the third party all-in-one solutions. Apples CCK comes as two adaptors. I believe I read somewhere that a few of the cheaper ones stopped working when Apple lowered the current limit on the port.

You might be able to get it to work with smaller SD cards; 2GB or under.

OP
5teve

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again and thanks for the info.
The little gizmo itself is a shiny white plastic thing that is roughly 2" x 1.5" x .5". One side is blank and the other side has "Camera Connection Kit written on it in a silvery kind of text. There are also 3 icons. One of an SD card, one of a camera and one depicting the slot on the iPad that the gizmo fits into. On one of the longer edges of the gizmo there is a plug that fits into the charging socket of the iPad and on the opposite edge there are 2 slots. One to accept a standard sized usb lead and one to take an SD card.

I have to admit that it WAS less than the normal asking price from the Apple store in Southampton. A £3.20 Buy Now on eBay and £24.99 in the shop. :D
Cheers,
Steve

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You probably got a lemon. Others have bought knockoffs and reported that they worked, so it's probably luck of the draw, as with many knockoffs.

OP
5teve

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah well...... Probably a lemon, as you say. At that price, who would be surprised?
All I need to be sure of now before I throw it in the bin is that A) It doesn't even work with small SD cards and B) That there isn't something that I need to do to "pair" my gizmo and iPad2 just as anybody who bought the full Monty gizmo from the Apple store would need to do.
Cheers,
Steve

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got the Apple one, and you just plug it in and it launches automatically.

If I were you, I'd try whatever you've got around the house and plug and try, because you've already sprung for it.

Someone who's bought something similar to yours probably will come along and post something more useful. You might also try the forum search function, because the knockoffs have been discussed on threads before, and I know that at least a couple of posters said theirs worked.

By the way, if you want help with a specific problem, might be better to give your posts more specific thread names. Some people will gravitate only to topics they think they can help with, rather than a general request for help.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All good advice by Kaykaykay, but if none of that works.....is there any chance that it could be used as a bottle opener?

The Archangel

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I have the Camera Connection Kit - there is no "pairing" action to be done. You attach the piece to the iPad and then stick in an SD card. As in, it works or it doesn't, there is nothing you do. So, now you just have to see if a smaller card works.

Good luck.

Marilyn

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has it got a little tiny switch on the side you have to set it for whatever you want to plug in usb or sd card.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pull up one of the LCARS simulation apps, plug it into the port and pretend it's a long range sensor attachment. Minutes of fun.

OP
5teve

5teve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Christine .... You are an angel in disguise.
I just had not seen that switch before you mentioned it. It is currently set in the position away from the SD icon so maybe, when I get my iPad2 back from its trip to Wick, I'll be able to get it working. Of course, there's every chance that it is still duff but as they say, "Hope springs eternal"

Cheers,
Steve

Most reactions

Latest posts