What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird reboot issue

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure that this has to do with being jailbroken but since I am using the absinthe 2.0.4 jailbreak I thought I should post here.

My iPad 3, 64GB 4G has started randomly rebooting. It really is random, no real time frame that I can tell. It has happened using Draw Free, iHeart Radio, watching videos with AcePlayer.
It just crashes and reboots. It does not come up in Safe Mode, it comes back up normal.
I have only had it a few weeks and I jailbroke it before I did anything else so it has always had the jailbreak on it.
It is really just more of an annoyance than anything else because it happens infrequently.

I have installed:
Activator
Browser Chooser
Deck HD
Folder Enhancer
iKeywi HD
Infinidock
Lights Dimmer Toggle
Lockinfo (although only using InfoShade)
Retinapad
Springtomize
Winterboard
3G Unrestrict
Remove BG

I am on firmware 5.1.1 (9B206).
Anyone else had this and if so, did you find a fix?
Thanks to one and all and if you need more info from me, please ask. Unfortunately, I don't remember what I put on last (the old mind ain't what it used to be....).

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've recently had this 3 times in the last few weeks. Not tracked it down yet. The screen wipes visibly across the way and then the device reboots. I've been in different apps at the time. Our tweaks in common from that list are...

Activator
Folder Enhancer
iKeywi HD
Springtomize
Winterboard
3G Unrestrict

I was suspecting Springtomize or iKeywiHD at the moment :D

Was considering a restore and re-jailbreak ;)

OP
rsava

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screen wipes visibly across the way and then the device reboots.

unfortunately, I do not see what happens before I realize it is happening, I am normally not looking at the screen. Today, for instance, i was listening to iHeart Radio and working when the audio stopped and by the time I looked over all I saw was the magic circle....

I was suspecting Springtomize or iKeywiHD at the moment :D

Was considering a restore and re-jailbreak ;)
I was heading towards Springtomize also and I REALLY don't want to wipe and redo the device. It is tweaked out just the way i like it.........

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, just to throw a spanner in the works, my iPad3 is not acting up. I don't get random resprings. Well, not that I've noticed. :)

Of the original list, here's what I have in common:

Activator
Deck HD
Folder Enhancer
iKeywi HD
Springtomize
Winterboard

I was wondering if it might be Remove Background, TBH. I had trouble with it when I tried to put the toggle into SBSettings. I wonder if that could be an indication of trouble with the tweak overall. I uninstalled it and now run WeeKillBackground. Just a thought...

Sorry I'm not of better help. Good luck in your problem solving.

Marilyn

OP
rsava

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ahhh! You're not helping Marilyn ....... :)
I will try swapping out Remove BG, see if that helps.

Mind if I ask both of you what you have turned on in Springtomize?

And Marilyn, I didn't know they had spanners in Western NY state. I thought they only had wrenches. ;)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry - didn't mean to throw a WRENCH into your trouble-shooting. :D Interesting question/side note: Where DID I get spammer from? I believe wrench IS more common. Ah well, must be the traveling I've done over the years...

Anyway.

Here's the list of stuff I've got activated in Springtomize (if its not mentioned, it's not on/running):

Dock
- Hide labels on
- Use custom number on (10) - although I currently have only 9 icons in the dock
- CoverFlow effect ON (convex)

Icons
- Use custom number on (5; portrait & landscape both)
- Resizing on (all set for 120% - springboard, dock and switcher icons)

Status bar
- Use custom carrier on

Theming
- Custom size (labels) on (larger)

Hope that helps. It was interesting - finding out how much I'm NOT using Springtomize on the iPad3. Am using it more on the iPhone...

Holler if I can do more comparisons.

Marilyn

l..k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yhmm, something is wrong with the jailbreak. I do not use any jb tweeks - all I did was to jailbreak and use terminal or iFile to copy files between apps. I did not experienced any spontaneous reboots but I found that now exiting the BlueFire app causes freeze which never happned before.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just for info, it is a full reboot, not a respring. And I don't have Remove Background. Happened maybe 3 times in last 4 weeks total.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yhmm, something is wrong with the jailbreak. I do not use any jb tweeks - all I did was to jailbreak and use terminal or iFile to copy files between apps. I did not experienced any spontaneous reboots but I found that now exiting the BlueFire app causes freeze which never happned before.

As a side note - the issue with BlueFire reading app is a known one. The app does not work well with a jail break. The developers are aware of it but there is no fix at the moment. There was a fix back on iOS 4.x, but it no longer works on iOS 5. So, it's either restart the iPad to get out of the freeze or get another reading app.

Just so no one gets distracted from the original problem...

Marilyn

OP
rsava

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Retinapad - I have 1.3.4. As far as I can see, it is the latest.
And as f4780y says, it is a full reboot and not just a respring.

Most reactions

Latest posts