Weak wireless on ipad 2

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by D Roc, Apr 2, 2011.

1. D Roc

D Roc
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Has anyone else noticed that the iPad is not picking up wireless signal very well. I can have my iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPad with me, and my iPad is the only one that can not find a connection in the area. I am new to iPads so this may be normal. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

2. madcapjim

madcapjim
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I've been satisfied for the most part with it. Much better than my iPod touch. It never holds a signal anywhere for long. Ipad2 has been better than I expected.

3. ipaduser434

ipaduser434
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I've no issues at home or hotspots, or places where friends have wireless. However, my office doesn't have wireless (I plan to fix that soon). I brought my netbook in one day and it picked up at least five or six networks in the area (a couple unsecured). My iPad 2 finds nothing.

4. D Roc

D Roc
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Maybe I should do e update. I never liked doing updates on my iPhones, because something all ways seems to go wrong. Maybe that will help.

5. Viper272

Viper272
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Weak wifi signal compared to ipad1

This was the first thing I noticed after turning on my ipad2 for the first time. It shows one bar less than my ipad1 everywhere in the house.

Both running iOS 4.3.1... So I guess they put in another wifi receiver than ipad1 has...

Right where I am now it only shows 1 bar, and here my ipad1 used to show 2 bars..

Knut

6. Tarkio

Tarkio
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    As we found out from Apple during the iPhone4 "antenna-gate" episode, the bars are just graphics and can be set to anything the manufacturer wants. It really has little to do with actual reception.

It's kind of like having a guitar amp that's louder because the volume knob goes to 11. :)

7. D Roc

D Roc
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Mine is just not finding the connections in the area. I was in the drive through of taco stand and was trying to pull up the menu and place my order while waiting. The place offered free wifi but my iPad didn't show it. I pulled out my iPhone and was prompted with the join wireless network.

8. tzimisce

tzimisce
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a specific defect on the device, then - might be worth a service call to Apple to get it sorted.

9. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Just a random thought - but I've come across it before...

Are you certain that the lower signal you see on your iPad is actually from the same WiFi network that your other devices are locked on to?

I've come across a case where a member had an iPhone4 and an iPad and was complaining about exactly the same thing. Because the status bar on the iPad doesn't tell you the name of the network that it's locked on to, he didn't notice that the iPhone was locked onto his network while the iPad had locked on to his neighbour's network! So it might be worth a quick check in the 'Settings' app to be certain it is the right network the iPad is locked on to...

OK - as I said - just a random thought.....

Tim
    Scotland

10. D Roc

D Roc
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The iPad showed no network for me to access while the iPhone picked up at least 2. Not really all that big of a deal....that's why I bought the 3G model. It just seemed odd and was wondering if anyone else noticed it.