Waterproof case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories for iPAD 1, 2 and 3' started by Quidditch, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Quidditch

Quidditch iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looking into the possibility to use the iPad as chartplotter on my boat.

Are there any cases made for this purpose, that you also can fasten to the dashboard ?
  2. MSaxatilus

MSaxatilus iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    As for mounts.... check out RAM mounts. They have an iPad mount, but while I haven't seen one for the iPad in person I can attest to the fact that their mounts are really well built and solid as a rock.

MSax
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mach5k

mach5k iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Other suggestions

There are a number of possibilities out there, but a few cooler choices on the way.

On the market right now are many different versions of dry bags. The drycase did some interesting testing. Seattle sports dry doc has eyelets to strap down the caseload there is always aquapac.

On the way sometime hopefully in near future Lifeproof.com suppose to come out with a version of there impending life proof case for the iPhone.

Okuqu.com is also supposed to come out with a version of the nut for the iPad.

There was a site dripadz.com and he was supposed to be in the market soon too.

But these actual cases non are available yet.

There is a ridiculously expensive ($300) one out of Europe, but can not find the link right now.

Post if you find anything new
  4. JaneiL

JaneiL iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's also an iLoc to Protect your iPad from Water

You should also take a look at the iLoc for the iPad. You can find it at www iLocStore com (iLoc Waterproof Phone and IPad Cases). It's under 3 bucks and protects your iPad from water, sand, snow, dust etc. It's a great buy for protecting your expensive iPad.
  5. azntrinityxq

azntrinityxq iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I put the link for you.
    dndistribution2011.com

Nice hard waterproof case! Does it float or sink? Why is it so expensive?
  6. mach5k

mach5k iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Left a message for dndistribution2011 have not heard back. The $79 case looks like the Macer case on Youtube is that correct? if so is the cover made of the same material as the iDRY? If so it should keep the unit dry, but seems to work best when wet (the iphone iDRY that is).

would love to see something like Lifeproof for iPad. if it is like that I am in.
  7. MikeVB

MikeVB iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Presumably if you own a boat, price is no object to you and you might find purchasing a waterproof "case" at between $20 and $100 not unattractive. But frankly if you think out of the box a little, there's a solution you could use -- mount included -- that not only costs pennies, but is amazingly efficient and is something you probably already possess in your home: A full-sized Ziploc freezer bag and some Velcro strips.

Ziploc freezer bags not only offer plenty of room to fit your IPad inside, but, unlike some other cases with internal snaps or locks, installing or removing your device takes only a few seconds; also, the screen is easily viewable inside, facilitates finger manipulation (CAREful...), and the plastic is of sufficient thickness to alleviate casual tearing (remember, these are the freezer bags and not the generic sandwich bags). I use one myself when I take my IPad to my hot tub! I wouldn't recommend submersing it but for anything short of a fire hose blast of water, it laughs at all drips and drops.

As for the Velcro, just obtain two sets of matching 3" strips, place one set on your hopefully angled boat dashboard, on any other convenient surface, and the matching set on the bag and voila! There's your mount!

Here's somebody else's pic I just found on the internet of one in use for this purpose (although I turn mine 45 degrees). Hell, there's still room for a half-dozen Oreo cookies!! :p

[​IMG]
  8. Irish Rose

Irish Rose iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    LifeProof makes a water proof case for the iPad that you can pre-order. However, they have not listed a price for that case yet, and I don't think it will be cheap considering the high demand for it. iPad - LifeProof Apple Cases - LifeProof Store
  9. chelseaboy

chelseaboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :eek: the price of that mother
  10. DM51

DM51 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Yes, $400 is a lot... but I suppose you are getting full functionality for that, with all the switches working, speaker etc... something like an underwater housing for a camera.

Not for most people, but I suppose there's a niche market where some guys would need that level of protection.
  11. DM51

DM51 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I just looked at that site again, and there's another model for $80 which looks pretty good. Has most of the functionality by the look of it. Worth a look if it's what you need.
  12. retexan599

retexan599 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pretty cool...I have a zip lock in my golf bag in case of sudden rainstorm on the golf course, but had not realized that the iPad touch screen works through the plastic! Thanks!
  13. Rockbottom

Rockbottom iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I use a zip lock. Perfect landscape width match. I have to collect data in a wet environment once in a while. Beats a paper pad getting all wet. I use a spread sheet in Numbers and move to Excel for heavy number crunching and then to Minitab for statistical analysis.

Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig / using iPF
  14. mach5k

mach5k iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I actually have used a ziplock, but want something to add a little more protection when I am using it outdoors coaching soccer. The macer looks ok but wondering if the cover is the same silicone cover like the idry or aquabox that may be Mfg by the same group.

If so it works great when wet but not so good when dry.

I am #75 preorder for the life proof version for the iPhone and preordered for the iPad too, but given the delays in getting the iPhone version out I am not sure when the iPad case will see the light of day.

Got the griffin survival case for now, but not crazy about the rubber plugs they use to cover the ports, etc. Worry that they will not be closed right as rain starts And bam I am out of luck.

Will consider the Macer.

Dndisibution can you tell us what the cover is made of?

Thanks
  15. Rockbottom

Rockbottom iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Do you mean PVC containing the ATBC plasticizer?

Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig / using iPF
  16. Mksanva

Mksanva iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are many possiblilties for this but the best solution I found is one offered by Moxiware which provides a good ipad waterproof case that you can mount pretty much anywhere you want. I mounted mine on a rail. The mount is compatible with ram mounts so if you already have these you can just buy the case.

Here is the link to the case I bought.
    Moxiware
  17. McTablet_T2C

McTablet_T2C iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    One more waterproof case

Another quite nice Waterproof case to consider.

high quality, Vacuum-sealed to give 100% waterproof protection while still keeping full functionality.

I guess you will have to get a bit creative with mounting this one, still miles away from a zip lock though.

Here is a full review:
    http://www.tablet2cases.com/reviews/drycase-universal-waterproof-tablet-case/

Any thoughts?
  18. StoneMoshe

StoneMoshe iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  19. McTablet_T2C

McTablet_T2C iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Some more options from the Joy Factory, they kinda look nice, not sure about their functionality though, i bought one to write a review about, anyone has one?

Products | The Joy Factory
  20. nmelmore

nmelmore iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lifedge

There is a new case due to be launched which looks pretty good for the sailing market. It is waterproof and shockproof! :eek:

Seems there is some mounting options available, similar to the Ram mount. Its called Lifedge, but they only have a holding page at the moment which you have to sign up for!