What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waterproof case

Quidditch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking into the possibility to use the iPad as chartplotter on my boat.

Are there any cases made for this purpose, that you also can fasten to the dashboard ?

MSaxatilus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As for mounts.... check out RAM mounts. They have an iPad mount, but while I haven't seen one for the iPad in person I can attest to the fact that their mounts are really well built and solid as a rock.

MSax

mach5k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Other suggestions

There are a number of possibilities out there, but a few cooler choices on the way.

On the market right now are many different versions of dry bags. The drycase did some interesting testing. Seattle sports dry doc has eyelets to strap down the caseload there is always aquapac.

On the way sometime hopefully in near future Lifeproof.com suppose to come out with a version of there impending life proof case for the iPhone.

Okuqu.com is also supposed to come out with a version of the nut for the iPad.

There was a site dripadz.com and he was supposed to be in the market soon too.

But these actual cases non are available yet.

There is a ridiculously expensive ($300) one out of Europe, but can not find the link right now.

Post if you find anything new

JaneiL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's also an iLoc to Protect your iPad from Water

You should also take a look at the iLoc for the iPad. You can find it at www iLocStore com (iLoc Waterproof Phone and IPad Cases). It's under 3 bucks and protects your iPad from water, sand, snow, dust etc. It's a great buy for protecting your expensive iPad.

mach5k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Left a message for dndistribution2011 have not heard back. The $79 case looks like the Macer case on Youtube is that correct? if so is the cover made of the same material as the iDRY? If so it should keep the unit dry, but seems to work best when wet (the iphone iDRY that is).

would love to see something like Lifeproof for iPad. if it is like that I am in.

MikeVB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Presumably if you own a boat, price is no object to you and you might find purchasing a waterproof "case" at between $20 and $100 not unattractive. But frankly if you think out of the box a little, there's a solution you could use -- mount included -- that not only costs pennies, but is amazingly efficient and is something you probably already possess in your home: A full-sized Ziploc freezer bag and some Velcro strips.

Ziploc freezer bags not only offer plenty of room to fit your IPad inside, but, unlike some other cases with internal snaps or locks, installing or removing your device takes only a few seconds; also, the screen is easily viewable inside, facilitates finger manipulation (CAREful...), and the plastic is of sufficient thickness to alleviate casual tearing (remember, these are the freezer bags and not the generic sandwich bags). I use one myself when I take my IPad to my hot tub! I wouldn't recommend submersing it but for anything short of a fire hose blast of water, it laughs at all drips and drops.

As for the Velcro, just obtain two sets of matching 3" strips, place one set on your hopefully angled boat dashboard, on any other convenient surface, and the matching set on the bag and voila! There's your mount!

Here's somebody else's pic I just found on the internet of one in use for this purpose (although I turn mine 45 degrees). Hell, there's still room for a half-dozen Oreo cookies!! :p

tn-ziplock500-550x450-rd10.jpg

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We sell hard waterproof cases for IPAD 1 and 2

Check the videos on our site dndistribution2011.com

:eek: the price of that...
Yes, $400 is a lot... but I suppose you are getting full functionality for that, with all the switches working, speaker etc... something like an underwater housing for a camera.

Not for most people, but I suppose there's a niche market where some guys would need that level of protection.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just looked at that site again, and there's another model for $80 which looks pretty good. Has most of the functionality by the look of it. Worth a look if it's what you need.

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MikeVB said:
Presumably if you own a boat, price is no object to you and you might find purchasing a waterproof "case" at between $20 and $100 not unattractive. But frankly if you think out of the box a little, there's a solution you could use -- mount included -- that not only costs pennies, but is amazingly efficient and is something you probably already possess in your home: A full-sized Ziploc freezer bag and some Velcro strips.

Ziploc freezer bags not only offer plenty of room to fit your IPad inside, but, unlike some other cases with internal snaps or locks, installing or removing your device takes only a few seconds; also, the screen is easily viewable inside, facilitates finger manipulation (CAREful...), and the plastic is of sufficient thickness to alleviate casual tearing (remember, these are the freezer bags and not the generic sandwich bags). I use one myself when I take my IPad to my hot tub! I wouldn't recommend submersing it but for anything short of a fire hose blast of water, it laughs at all drips and drops.

As for the Velcro, just obtain two sets of matching 3" strips, place one set on your hopefully angled boat dashboard, on any other convenient surface, and the matching set on the bag and voila! There's your mount!

Here's somebody else's pic I just found on the internet of one in use for this purpose (although I turn mine 45 degrees). Hell, there's still room for a half-dozen Oreo cookies!! :p

Pretty cool...I have a zip lock in my golf bag in case of sudden rainstorm on the golf course, but had not realized that the iPad touch screen works through the plastic! Thanks!

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use a zip lock. Perfect landscape width match. I have to collect data in a wet environment once in a while. Beats a paper pad getting all wet. I use a spread sheet in Numbers and move to Excel for heavy number crunching and then to Minitab for statistical analysis.

Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig / using iPF

mach5k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually have used a ziplock, but want something to add a little more protection when I am using it outdoors coaching soccer. The macer looks ok but wondering if the cover is the same silicone cover like the idry or aquabox that may be Mfg by the same group.

If so it works great when wet but not so good when dry.

I am #75 preorder for the life proof version for the iPhone and preordered for the iPad too, but given the delays in getting the iPhone version out I am not sure when the iPad case will see the light of day.

Got the griffin survival case for now, but not crazy about the rubber plugs they use to cover the ports, etc. Worry that they will not be closed right as rain starts And bam I am out of luck.

Will consider the Macer.

Dndisibution can you tell us what the cover is made of?

Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts