What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volume problem IOS 9.3.5.......Old IPAD

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have a very old IPAD we let the nieces/nephews use while they're here.
It's maybe from 2013 but has been working ok for utube and the kids games.

Recently, the volume seems to have gotten stuck on "to loud!"
The volume control at the bottom edge can go up but not down.

Going to settings, then Sounds>Ringer and Alerts, I can move the volume bar up and down with my finger, with the "change with buttons" green ball "off".
With the green ball "on" I can only raise the volume with the rocker volume control at the bottom.
Even with the slider all the way to the left. It's still to loud!

Any info much appreciated......
Ken

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you turn the green button to off you can establish the sound of ringtones, etc with the slider shown In the setting itself. Set this way the side buttons should control the video volume. Alternatively you can use the volume control in the control centre accessed by pulling down top right.

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Jupiter,
As I mentioned, with the green button off I can move the slider with my finger but it makes no volume difference in the kids games or untube.
Theirs no "pull-down" control centre on this one. Do that, and you get a calendar and date. No more.

>>Extra!!! Just "now" found the swipe menu.....Swipe up from the "bottom" and a volume slider, and other stuff, comes up that works!! The rocker control at the bottom must be broke since I can only "raise" the volume. Won't lower it!!
Ken

Last edited:

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Jupiter,
As I mentioned, with the green button off I can move the slider with my finger but it makes no volume difference in the kids games or untube.
Theirs no "pull-down" control centre on this one. Do that, and you get a calendar and date. No more.

>>Extra!!! Just "now" found the swipe menu.....Swipe up from the "bottom" and a volume slider, and other stuff, comes up that works!! The rocker control at the bottom must be broke since I can only "raise" the volume. Won't lower it!!
Ken
I am very glad you found the Control Centre. I guess as you suggest the rocker buttons must have developed a hardware fault.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Jupiter,

Ken
The slider you describe only controls the ringtone/alert/notification volume. It does not control the iPad's main volume level.

With the green button off, you can only change the alert's volume using the slider. With the button on, alert notification will change with the main iPad volume level. You can use the control center, the device volume buttons, or any other volume control.

The purpose of this is to give you the option to make alerts always audible, and at a level you consider acceptable.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
On one of my older iPads I have a problem with one of the volume buttons. Close inspection snowed a slight bulge in the thin metal strip between the buttons. When I "very carefully" bent this back into place, the buttons began to work again.

Worth a look.

Most reactions

Latest posts