What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volume Icon Won't Leave Screen

dial

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

The volume icon won't leave the screen. Now and then it will fade away for a moment only to reappear. I've tried re-starting, checking in settings, and swiping the bottom of the page to bring up the volume control. None of these have any effect on the icon which has decided to plant itself in the middle of my screen.

Anyone any idea what's going on?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Time for a reboot. Turn the iPad off. Now press and hold the Power and Home buttons until the white Apple logo appears - about 6-9 seconds. The iPad will reboot - takes a while. Nothing is lost. See if the problem persists.

Tim

OP
D

dial

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim,

The problem seems to have gone away after an overnight shut down. It reappeared once briefly and then went again. Nothing since. I'll put it down to some sort of ipad indigestion.

Sparkes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Time for a reboot. Turn the iPad off. Now press and hold the Power and Home buttons until the white Apple logo appears - about 6-9 seconds. The iPad will reboot - takes a while. Nothing is lost. See if the problem persists.

Tim
I tried that to no effect. I am having exactly the same problem as the first person

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be a hardware fault. Try operating the volume switch up and down a few times. I'm thinking there might be something sticking inside. Don't take a hammer to it, but tap the switch a bit harder than normal a few times. See if that clears it.

I'm guessing but I think anything that survives a reboot is not software related. If I'm wrong, which I often am, a backup and restore is probably the next step.

Sent from my iPad 4 HD mini

juanoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i messed around w/ the volume switch down 4x then up 1x down 3x and up 2x

Otjoan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was having this problem too, and rebooting to correct, then noticed every time it happened was right after I put it back into the iPad holder, upside down! The holder was pressing the power button just the wrong way and causing the problem.

PriscillaM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may seem simplistic and obviously it won't work for everyone, but I was having just the same problem and it was driving me mad. Being an inexperienced iPad user, I didn't know about the tiny button on the side (bottom) of the case. Having tried everything from rebooting to restoring, etc, I moved this button down (across) and not only did the sound icon disappear at once, but I can now control the volume, which I couldn't before as it returned by itself every time to maximum. Hope this might help someone!

Gill whitehurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sound effects,volume button stuck in the middle of screen,I used assistive touch to create a mute button in gestures,used mute button on,logo gone unmuted logo is still gone hope this helps
Hi,

The volume icon won't leave the screen. Now and then it will fade away for a moment only to reappear. I've tried re-starting, checking in settings, and swiping the bottom of the page to bring up the volume control. None of these have any effect on the icon which has decided to plant itself in the middle of my screen.

Further to this problem I went to assistive touch and made a volume button
Hi,

This may seem simplistic and obviously it won't work for everyone, but I was having just the same problem and it was driving me mad. Being an inexperienced iPad user, I didn't know about the tiny button on the side (bottom) of the case. Having tried everything from rebooting to restoring, etc, I moved this button down (across) and not only did the sound icon disappear at once, but I can now control the volume, which I couldn't before as it returned by itself every time to maximum. Hope this might help someone!

Most reactions

Latest posts