Virus

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by doris ganton, Apr 3, 2014.

1. doris ganton

doris ganton
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    An one get a virus on iPad?
    Doris

2. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    There have been one or two posts on here which say it is not possible at the moment to be viruses. However, I do not know how this is with jailbroken iPads.
    Mike

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Doris - welcome to the forum! :) First, there are NO virus threats 'in the wild' that will affect your 'stock' iPad, so not a concern; however, a 'virus' is only one type of malware (if you want to learn a little more, then check this LINK - yes more for the Mac OS but the definitions may be helpful). Second, the only issues that I've had after almost 3 years of using my iPad 2 are browser re-directs, NOW not a big issue but just irritating - there are ways around this if really bothersome.

You might want to tell us 'why' you are worried about a virus on your iPad? Safe surfing & emailing is important, i.e. don't give away your personal information, credit card numbers, etc. Also, keep in mind that 'Windows' malware (e.g. viruses, worms, etc.) in your emails (which will NOT affect your iPad) could be passed onto your 'friends' who are using a Windows computer - just take care - if you still have questions, please ask. Dave

#3 giradman, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  4. doris ganton

doris ganton
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Hi Dave:
    The reason I asked is because last night I received an email with just an addy to go to from a friend. I emailed that friend and asked if she had sent it to me and she had NOT!. So I immediately worried about a virus. I only use an iPad now,no laptops etc. and I didn't know if my iPad might be contaminated. Many thanks for your reply. Doris

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi again Doris - if your friend is on a Windows PC, then she likely has malware on her computer that is 'spoofing' her email address (i.e. sending out emails to her contacts) - check HERE for an explanation) - you have nothing to worry about (just delete the message), but I would advise that your friend (again assuming she has a PC) run her virus/malware program and also change her password to her email provider. Dave :)