What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Videos on external drive using the ‘Files’ app

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’m trying to view some dash camera videos that are on a micro SD card using the ‘Files’ app with a micro SD card adaptor on my iPad Pro 11” using iPadOS13.2.3., and all files are mp4 files.

Everything works fine viewing single files, but what I want to do is get the files to automatically play one after the other.

I’ve looked at using VLC in the ‘share’ option, but the iOS app appears to be able to view only one file at a time, and not stack them, such as in a playlist.

I know I could download the files to my iPad and view them from there, but as each file can be 400meg or so, and with a full 32gig SD card this is not feasible.

Has anyone got any idea how I can accomplish getting them to play as I want them to?.

Cheers

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a setting in VLC on my iPad ‘automatically play next item.’ Is this set on? I tested this using a TV series on my NAS and it works here.

OP
Aerofly

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi NSquirrel, yes I have that option ticked. The problem as I see it is that if I had the videos in the iPad’s ‘photos’ app, then they would automatically play in the files app, however the videos are on an external SD card and although they will play individually, the automatic play doesn’t work in the files app.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts