What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photography-connectivity & workflow (raw files in/out)

FrankGr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here - here's my story:

I ordered the 9.7in Pro & the Lightning to usb3 camera adapter online today.

I ordered the 128gb to save the $ and apply those $ to a wireless hard drive. My thinking is that I will not be using the internal storage for more than image processing and temporary file storage.

I need to find a solution to getting my files off the iPad - be able to back them up, and be able to open them on my desktop.
There does not seem to be a way to connect a cabled usb hard drive and move the files across.

If wireless is the only option, do all the available wireless hard drives (LaCie, WD, Sandisk) work by installing an app on the iPad and moving the files via the app from iPad to HD?

Is there any other way to get the files onto an external device?

Regarding bringing the files into the iPad, I selected the camera adapter over the SD card reader so that I can read both my cameras - one uses SD & the other uses CF cards. The usb ends of each of the camera cables are standard/old usb. Will these fit the camera adapter I ordered or do I need another connector? I also have standalone card readers for my desktop but these are also old usb

I shoot Raw files and will install apps that can read & process these files - probably Lr &/or Vsco.
Reading, selecting and Importing the files I assume is done with the built-in iPad app Photos.

Thanks for any help/clarification.

Most reactions