Verizon's FiOS Puts 600 Channels of Live TV on Your iPad

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by iDoug, Aug 18, 2010.

1. iDoug

iDoug Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    [​IMG]

Verizon has been busting at the seem with news lately and although most of it hasn't been Apple related, todays news is!

Verizon is planning to stream live FiOS TV to mobile devices, with a particular focus on the iPad, the company announced today. The move is part of Verizon's ambition for mobile devices capable of equaling (and surpassing) your current television.

As demonstrated today, FiOS customers will eventually be able to browse a channel selection indistinguishable from what they'd otherwise view on their television—though Verizon touted their "What's Hot" iPad app, a mosaic view of what other FiOS customers in your area are watching, updated every five minutes. Content would be piped in via WiFi directly from FiOS, without the need for an intermediary streaming device a la Slingbox. Although Verizon CIO Shaygan Kheradpir was hot on Apple, praising the iPad's live TV capabilities as a realization of "why [they] built FiOS," the company emphasized that their new service would be available across all platforms.

timeframe for the live TV service remained murky—Verizon reps at the event refused to specify a release by even next year's time, pinning the delay on pending negotiations with content providers. The company was murkier still on the policy implications of the service with regards to recent net neutrality turmoil—as the thought of a dedicated mobile television service for FiOS customers resonates with anyone who feared the Google/Verizon proposal cleared the way for a non-neutral "second-internet." No comment was given on whether you'd be able to, say, watch TV on your iPad over your girlfriend's connect, if you're a FiOS subscriber but she isn't. The company stated that "ideally," rival ISPs wouldn't be discriminated against, but refused to comment further.

[GIZMODO]
  2. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    And of course the only services available where im at is AT&T and Dish.....bleh....this looks awesome!
  3. MrLee

MrLee iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bye DISH

I'd love to tell DISH goodbye BUT I'd want to watch tv on my Large TV not my "little" iPad....
  4. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    My job allows me to watch movies while I work, I usually watch netflix or slingbox (I really hate the iphone app tho)...so this kind of thing would be great.
  5. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +479 / 0
    I guess one needs a us address to use this app when it's released
  6. daveb

daveb iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anybody heard of a release date yet?