What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

using two ipads on one itunes account etc etc

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
from what i've gathered, i can have two separate ipads(A and B) on one itunes account OR
must i have two different itunes accounts? if i need two different itunes accounts, can they be identified separately on one itunes program? like is there an "add account" in the itunes program?

here's the scenario...i bought an ipad(A) for my wife(this id, andreak, will be hers when she gets her ipad for xmas).
we both have separate logins on our pc. in order that she doesn't see itunes on her desktop i've setup the itunes on my login and have been doing everything from my side. when i eventually get my ipad(B), i will want to setup an itunes account of my own,,,,,,i think(haven't decided yet).

if i do want separate itunes accounts, what would be the best way to set this up. at that point, how can she use her itunes account(which is currently installed on my side) on her side so'z i can setup my itunes account on my side,,,or is this possible.

the simple way, i guess, would be to have one itunes account for BOTH ipads?? in such a case would itunes recognize the two ipads or just see them as the same, and would that mean naming MY ipad(B) with the same account name as her ipad(A). and as that would be kinda weird because her ipad is under her name, can i change her account name and we both share an account as a "family name.account"?

i think i just confused myself but i hope not you all :),,,,thx

Last edited:

helix2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it best you have two separate Itunes. I tried having one ITunes and two logins but it didn't seem to like it when I had different apps, music etc on my IPad and my wife had something else. Kept trying to sync both IPads with what was on one system. Possibly others will have a better recommendation. Good luck.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I would run the two iPads on one iTunes account. That way, you and your wife can use apps without having to buy them twice.

If you name your iPads differently, you can keep them separate in iTunes, plus iTunes will know which is which by the serial number.

I have my iPad1, my mom's iPad2 and my iPhone all running on the same iTunes account (and same Apple ID) with no troubles. Each device has different apps (both in number and in type) and I can easily run separate updates and backups. In my opinion, life as the iDevice maintainer for my house is much easier with one account.

As always, YMMV, but I hope this helps. Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally, I would run the two iPads on one iTunes account. That way, you and your wife can use apps without having to buy them twice.

If you name your iPads differently, you can keep them separate in iTunes, plus iTunes will know which is which by the serial number.

I have my iPad1, my mom's iPad2 and my iPhone all running on the same iTunes account (and same Apple ID) with no troubles. Each device has different apps (both in number and in type) and I can easily run separate updates and backups. In my opinion, life as the iDevice maintainer for my house is much easier with one account.

As always, YMMV, but I hope this helps. Good luck.

Marilyn

thank you both,,,for two different answers HAHAHA.

i wanted to lean more towards marilyn because the ability to share apps. but you touch upon a point, marilyn....if itunes recognizes the different ipads(different names-different serial numbers) wouldn't itunes DENY the ability to share apps?

the main thing is i want to share apps on both computers. i want both computers to have access to the same apps.

as always,,,,thx

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have eight devices on one iTunes account. No problem. Every device has its own name and profile, and iTunes automatically recognizes each device. If someone hasn't managed it, it's because they've done something wrong. It's pretty easy, though, because I'm technically lazy and I manage it.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you use the same Apple ID to maintain those two iPads - on the same computer - then you will easily be able to share the same apps between the two iPads. The key point is the same Apple ID.

My example: I have my iPad1, which I call "Mickey330's iPad." Then, I have my iPhone, which I call (you guessed it!) "Mickey330's iPhone." Then, my mom has her iPad, which I call "Mom's iPad" (why break a tradition? :D). I use one iteration of iTunes, which is on my Windows 7 Professional computer/PC and all of the iDevices are under my Apple ID (one account).

When I plug any of the iDevices in, iTunes recognizes it as one of the three and shows me the name of it in the left column. I can transfer any app from my iTunes to any one of the iDevices I have. I have hundreds of apps on my iPad and iPhone, my mom has 10s, mainly word games. The thing is, I can pick and choose amongst all the apps I've bought (or gotten free from the App Store) with my Apple ID.

As KayKayKay said (and she should know - what with 8 (!) devices!), it's much easier, IMNSHO, to use the same account to maintain any/all iDevices. Life is just easier that way.

Marilyn

Junior

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
macaddictionblog.wordpress.com
Another vote for same Apple IDs on all iDevices. I have 8 devices with the same info and it's easy enough to remove apps not in use from one device to another without hassles.

OP
A

andreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you use the same Apple ID to maintain those two iPads - on the same computer - then you will easily be able to share the same apps between the two iPads. The key point is the same Apple ID.

My example: I have my iPad1, which I call "Mickey330's iPad." Then, I have my iPhone, which I call (you guessed it!) "Mickey330's iPhone." Then, my mom has her iPad, which I call "Mom's iPad" (why break a tradition? :D). I use one iteration of iTunes, which is on my Windows 7 Professional computer/PC and all of the iDevices are under my Apple ID (one account).

When I plug any of the iDevices in, iTunes recognizes it as one of the three and shows me the name of it in the left column. I can transfer any app from my iTunes to any one of the iDevices I have. I have hundreds of apps on my iPad and iPhone, my mom has 10s, mainly word games. The thing is, I can pick and choose amongst all the apps I've bought (or gotten free from the App Store) with my Apple ID.

As KayKayKay said (and she should know - what with 8 (!) devices!), it's much easier, IMNSHO, to use the same account to maintain any/all iDevices. Life is just easier that way.

Marilyn

THX...you're all so helpful. i think you must work at the apple store :):):)

Preston81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just spit out some of my beer, because I'm pretty sure I'm listening to you on a podcast... I've been listening to repeats because apparently you threw it all in the river...
I did a search for the same question you had, and i landed here. I was reading your question as you were rambling on in my ear about #snoots...
And the nice folks that answered your questions have answered mine as well. Thanks, now I'm heading to purchase the new iPad.

Presto

i think i just confused myself but i hope not you all :),,,,thx

kippyw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dumber question:
I have this brand new iPad that I received last week. For years I've sync'ed my iPod Touch 3rd gen on my PC with XP. I would like to sync this new iPad, I guess, but I don't want any of the music or iPod specific apps on this ipad. I want to save every available gig for movies and video, not music. Do I need to go into itunes first and change some settings before I connect the iPad?
FYI, I sync'ed my ipod touch yesterday after many new apps were added to my new ipad.... now the ipad apps are also on my ipod where I did not want them.
Thank You

Laurie_

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dumber question:
I have this brand new iPad that I received last week. For years I've sync'ed my iPod Touch 3rd gen on my PC with XP. I would like to sync this new iPad, I guess, but I don't want any of the music or iPod specific apps on this ipad. I want to save every available gig for movies and video, not music. Do I need to go into itunes first and change some settings before I connect the iPad?
FYI, I sync'ed my ipod touch yesterday after many new apps were added to my new ipad.... now the ipad apps are also on my ipod where I did not want them.
Thank You
Your post is the one down fall to having more then one device on the same account.
My husband and I share an account and yesterday I bought a kids album for my 2 year old granddaughter that has a 123 songs on it. Over the cloud that album ended up on every device....lol I only wanted it on my Ipad.
It was easy enough to delete off of the other devices, but for some people that can be a hassel they don't want.
So first I would suggest turning off your cloud services. Second before you plug your Ipad to your computer go in to Itunes and set it to sync your music manually. Also go into the apps and uncheck the ones you don't want on the Ipad, do the same for photos and videos.
You shouldn't end up with any unwanted content then. Hopefully I didn't miss a step. If I did I'm sure someone here will add it :)

Will Gavin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread is encouraging, since it seems to show I should be able to get it set up the way I want. But I'm still a bit confused. That's not unusual.

I've had an iPad 5 for about a year. I've decided to pass it on for my daughters use, mainly to use for a variety of interactive apps - she is autistic with severe communication problems. She lives a few doors away from us, with support from care workers, and we've recently set up a separate wifi from us.

Yesterday I bought an iPad Air for me to use. The iPad 5 had a whole collection of appropriate apps on, and also lots of other stuff. The idea is to get rid of much of that to make it better suited for her and her care workers to use - there are masses of photos and email accounts and other stuff she wouldn't need, which are still on the iPad that's going to her.

At present I've got the iPad Air more or less OK, and I've backed it up on one PC, giving it a different name. The iPad 5 still has a lot of stuff that won't be needed, and that is backed up on another PC in my house.

What I'd like to be able to do is to get rid of everything in her ipad, and then reload the apps, and set up other stuff she might use, such as email and her own photos and music etc. But I've been worried that when it comes to future backups, especially any iCloud back-ups, the two are getting confused, so that I lose stuff I want to keep, or/and she gets stuff she doesn't want.

Basically I want to use the same Apple ID so as to be able to restore whatever apps are needed, but retain separate backups on PC and ideally on iCloud.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know about the iCloud part as you might run out of space, but if you simply name each device then it is easy to know which backup belongs to which device. I currently have 3 iPads (iPad 3, iPad mini, iPad mini 2) and an iPhone 4S on the same account. The mini started from a backup from the 3, the mini 2 started from a backup from the mini, but now all the of them are slightly different and by using different names for the devices it is easy to keep track of the backups. By the way, the iPad air is the iPad 5, so maybe you meant you have a 4th gen iPad?

Deusoka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I looked for some info and I couldn't find. I guess u guys can help me.
I use an iPad whose account belongs to my boss. We use her account to share apps.
I wonder if my Personal email, facebook account, photos and videos are available for the account owner (my boss).

Most reactions