What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using the Ipad on an o2 uk sim 3g?

wooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got a 3g ipad and trimmed down an o2 uk sim card which has unlimited 3g. It shows on the to top left corner i have 3g, but when i load up a web page it shows the 'could not activate cellular data network' window..

Can appreciate most on here are from the states but was wondering if anyone had a solution?

cheers

Mick

justin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got a 3g ipad and trimmed down an o2 uk sim card which has unlimited 3g. It shows on the to top left corner i have 3g, but when i load up a web page it shows the 'could not activate cellular data network' window..

Can appreciate most on here are from the states but was wondering if anyone had a solution?

cheers

Mick

Hi, I did the same when I got my 3g ipad. To get the 3g working go into the "Cellular Data" settings, under "APN Settings" you need to set the APN to mobile.o2.co.uk, username: web, password: password

Justin

justin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I don't think there's a single "official" provider. I'm happy with O2, but you can get 3G on Vodafone, Orange, 3 and probably others. I'm using an iPad bought in the US before available in the UK so I had to trim a standard sim to the size of a microsim, but when iPad is officially launched here on Friday I'm sure you'll be able to get microsim cards with 3g data plans from most networks.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
O2, Orange and Vodafone are the three 'official' providers of microsims and data plans for the iPad through the Apple store - though as Justin says, there are other 3G networks and service providers here in the UK, so no reason why a trimmed SIM card from any of them shouldn't work.

Pete.

dp118

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Activating 02 UK iPad sim in US before going to UK?

I purchased an 02 Micro Sim for Apple iPad (Pay & Go) and had it sent from the UK to the USA. I have a 3g USA iPad and am going to the UK for vacation. Can I activate the 02 sim in the USA before leaving? If so, any guidance?

If not, can I activate it in the UK when I arrive without connecting to a computer (which I won't have) with iTunes? Any guidance on this?

Thanks.

justin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dp118 said:
I purchased an 02 Micro Sim for Apple iPad (Pay & Go) and had it sent from the UK to the USA. I have a 3g USA iPad and am going to the UK for vacation. Can I activate the 02 sim in the USA before leaving? If so, any guidance?

If not, can I activate it in the UK when I arrive without connecting to a computer (which I won't have) with iTunes? Any guidance on this?

Thanks.

You should be able to purchase a data plan from the Cellular Data menu in Settings on your iPad once you arrive in the UK, possibly before although this might be considered roaming. Not sure if there's anything special you need to do to activate the sim, but see no harm trying to putting the O2 sim in while you're in the states and connecting to iTunes before you leave (though I don't think this is necessary). Have a nice vacation.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As the last poster suggested, I don't think you'll have any trouble. On my '3' account, even if there's no remaining download capacity left on the card or if I've never used it before, using it and then firing up Safari takes me straight through to the '3' website, where I can use my credit card to top up for another month. I'm sure that O2 do something similar. In any case, there are mobile 'phone stores in every mall, so you'll have no problems.

There are endless WiFi hotspots in the UK too, in fact, you'll find it difficult *not* to be near a hotspot - they're ubiquitous. Malls, coffee shops, motels, airports, franchises, even some public transport - trains especially, but even some buses.

I hope you enjoy your vacation. Your only problem will be the weather ;-))

Tim
Scotland

dp118

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim and Justin,

Thanks for the excellent information. I might try installing the 02 card in the USA and hooking up to iTunes to see what happens. Don't want any surprises when I get to Scotland. I will definitely top up when I get to Edinburgh. Really looking forward to my trip and your famous weather. Thanks again.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Take warm clothing! It's bloody cold atm with prevailing winds from the arctic.
<vigorously wields axe and adds another chairleg to the fire...>

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Where the heck are you? The weather is positively tropical at the moment compared to the last few months!!! I turned our central heating down this week for the first time since November... :D

Last edited:

dp118

iPF Noob
Reaction score

My gosh,

Do iPhones even work in this weather or do they stick to your ear?

dp118

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim and Justin,

Thanks for the excellent information. I might try installing the 02 card in the USA and hooking up to iTunes to see what happens. Don't want any surprises when I get to Scotland. I will definitely top up when I get to Edinburgh. Really looking forward to my trip and your famous weather. Thanks again.

UPDATE from dp118: While still in the USA, I installed my new UK 02 micro-sim in my USA iPad 3G. Before turning on the iPad I connected it to my PC with iTunes running. The iPad turned on and went through a normal sync. After syncing and still connected to iTunes, I went to Settings/Cellular Network and up came the registration screen for 02 UK. I had to adjust the APN/username/password settings to Payandgo settings provided by my micro-sim seller in the UK.

Next, the activation screen on the iPad allowed registration using a UK address only. It would not recognize a USA address. I input a friend's address in the UK. It also required a credit card and email address. I used my USA Visa card and it appeared to accept this. It then offered three service plans for activation. I selected the one-day plan, as a test, knowing I could not receive a signal in the USA. Activation appears to have worked, my credit card was charged, and I received a confirmation email from 02 that activation was successful.

Next, I went back to the iPad Home screen. The top left 3G network display showed "searching", then "no service". That was expected and normal since there is no 02 service in the USA.

I then turned off the iPad, removed the 02 micro-sim and popped my AT&T micro-sim back in. When turned on, the iPad reverted back to AT&T without any need to readjust the settings.

So far, so good. We'll see what happens when I get to Scotland. I am wondering if I'll be able to use top-up cards or only a credit card because there appears to be no way to input top-up card information on my iPad. Not too concerned about this since I should be able to keep getting service via credit card.

For price comparison, AT&T wants to charge me $200.00 for a 30 day International Plan which allows a maximum of 200MB of data. As of today, I've spent $13.00 getting my UK 02 card and testing it. I expect I will get the 30 day, 2GB + Unlimited wifi plan for 15.32 pounds ($26.00). This appears to be a recurring plan so I will have to cancel within 24 hours of leaving the UK to keep from being charged for another month. A great savings by any measure.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts