What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using an iPad as a network device

jwilli99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to be able to access the content of my iPad on my home network. The reason for this is I have a networked AV reciever, and to access content, in this case music files, it looks for folders. Thus far I have successfully connected the reciever to my iTunes folder on the C:/ drive of the main PC, and to a music folder on an external hard drive. Is there some way to view the content of the iPad as a network folder so that I can select it for the reciever. By the way, I am making the selections for what folders the reciever looks in via winamp remote. Any help would be appreiciated.

Reaction score
Good question.

Goodreader lets you do that to some extent, when opening the Wifi-Sync will it give you it's IP address, so you can use that IP address to access the Goodreader files as a network drive. But it doesn't work for the whole iPad, which I think is what you are looking for. It might require a jb.

Afterthought, there is this new app called Song Exporter Pro, when opening it, does it giv access to all songs over wifi, simply enter the iPad's IP address and choose the song from the browser, winamp may work with that app. The app is currently free, so no harm done in testing. ;)

Last edited:
OP
J

jwilli99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I tried both apps and here is the report on that:
both Goodreader and Song Exporter Pro give you an IP address, that of the iPad, which allows you from another terminal to access the contents of the iPad as if it were just another network resource. That's nice, but it doesn't help with the AV reciever, which is almost like a dos-based machine. It's looking for folder paths such as c:/documents and settings/..../itunes. By giving the AV reciever such a path I can link it to the iTunes folder on my home network. And ideas?

Reaction score
jwilli99 said:
Ok, so I tried both apps and here is the report on that:
both Goodreader and Song Exporter Pro give you an IP address, that of the iPad, which allows you from another terminal to access the contents of the iPad as if it were just another network resource. That's nice, but it doesn't help with the AV reciever, which is almost like a dos-based machine. It's looking for folder paths such as c:/documents and settings/..../itunes. By giving the AV reciever such a path I can link it to the iTunes folder on my home network. And ideas?

I did some further testing with Song Exporter Pro and it should work.

I have only used Winamp, but it should be similar to your AV.

So here is a step-by-step walk-through:

-open Song Exporter Pro
-browse to the IP from your desktop
-click on URL list (in the upper menu bar) (it will show you the actual location of all songs, such as http://192.169.1.57/songs/Imogen&Heap/, so your AV should be able to access it)
-select everything and copy
-on your desktop, right click and create a new Text document.
-open the .txt file and paste all content
-save the .txt, than rename the extension to .m3u

You now have a playlist, which you can import into any proper audio program and it plays all songs from your iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts